1971 240Z Blue/Blue Cali Baked

SacCyclone

Club Member
Just picked up this 71 240Z early car, serial number 13,... with rare blue exterior and blue interior.

Matching engine numbers with 4 speed transmission.

The chap I bought it from only had it for a year or less and was driving the car down the road a few moths ago. Apparently the water pump was leaking so he parked the car and changed the water pump and did a tune up at the same time. When he went to start the car he could not get it to run and there it sat for months.

I made a deal on the car and trailered it home. Replaced a few items like cracked tail light lens, cracked side marker lights, and installing the correct battery tray. Lot more little parts to replace but since I have many bins of original parts should not be too bad.

The title is on the way to me so should be to me when I return from my trip to the UK.

This is a early "series 1" car so many parts are different than the later 71, 72 , and 73 240'z.

Couple of things I really like about the car is the original blue exterior and blue interior which is pretty rare. Also, the matching engine is still in the car so that's a plus.

I also like that it is mostly rust free...the slam panel, floors, rockers, battery tray, frame rails, dog legs are all very nice. I could not find any bubbling in the paint anywhere on this car.

The driver's side front wing will need to be replaced as there is some evidence of a good size dent that was pulled out poorly. The passenger side front wing has a few minor dents but can be repaired. Both headlight buckets are fiberglass and cracked so will need replacing....i have several of them to use.

Both front a rear bumpers need replacing as they are dented up pretty good.

When I return from holiday I will get this car back running and driving and gather some more parts.

The paint and interior are very baked in the Cali sun as are the weather stripping and seals. Suspension looks to be factory as well but will check it out further.

Eventually, after the first of the year, i will put this one up for sale in the classified section here so be on the watch for it.

Cheers, Mike

IMG_8229.jpegIMG_0329.jpegIMG_0330.jpegIMG_0338.jpegIMG_0332.jpeg

SacCyclone

Club Member
Looks like an interesting one Mike!

When do you fly to the UK?
I will be flying into Europe on Nov. 13, mostly in Italy and Greece until the 22. Then we will be in Scotland on the 23rd until the 28th. Taking the overnight train from Inverness back down to London and arrive on the 29th. At this point we are staying in Downtown London from the 29th to the 5th when we fly back to the states. Going to use our points to stay in London and take the train out to Bath and the Cotswolds to meet up with Steve and Sarah. I am hoping that we can just train in and out of London to visit other places and towns within a few hours of London.

Hope to say Hi and maybe a pint with any others here while in London during that time.

Mike

Mr.G

Club Member
Lovely car Mike, did you work out the reason it didn't run?

Downtown London? Where is that? Where in Greece/Italy? Both are great places to visit.

Have a lovely trip and would be nice to say hello if your itinerary/locations align.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Sitting on the lounge of the ship in port today in Sicily. Thought I would give it a go again trying to log on to this forum from my iPad and yepee I got it to work.
The car stopped running after the previous owner tried to do a tuneup with little knowledge of these cars. Will tackle that job when I return to the states.
on another note, I was able to locate 2 front wings in good condition in my town so I will collect them when I return. The end goal is to replace the buggered up wings with these units so less for the next owner to do.
Enjoying my holiday so far on the ship, plenty of time to relax.
Really looking towards next week and the flight to Edinburgh for some good food and the Xmas markets.
Cheers, Mike

status

Well-Known Forum User
I will be flying into Europe on Nov. 13, mostly in Italy and Greece until the 22. Then we will be in Scotland on the 23rd until the 28th. Taking the overnight train from Inverness back down to London and arrive on the 29th. At this point we are staying in Downtown London from the 29th to the 5th when we fly back to the states. Going to use our points to stay in London and take the train out to Bath and the Cotswolds to meet up with Steve and Sarah. I am hoping that we can just train in and out of London to visit other places and towns within a few hours of London.

Hope to say Hi and maybe a pint with any others here while in London during that time.

Mike
If you’re near Stansted airport look me up,few of us with Zeds out here

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sitting on the lounge of the ship in port today in Sicily. Thought I would give it a go again trying to log on to this forum from my iPad and yepee I got it to work.
The car stopped running after the previous owner tried to do a tuneup with little knowledge of these cars. Will tackle that job when I return to the states.
on another note, I was able to locate 2 front wings in good condition in my town so I will collect them when I return. The end goal is to replace the buggered up wings with these units so less for the next owner to do.
Enjoying my holiday so far on the ship, plenty of time to relax.
Really looking towards next week and the flight to Edinburgh for some good food and the Xmas markets.
Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike, I've been to Sicily (Touramina). Loved it. Asked the locals about the Targo Floria and they looked at me with a blank expression.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Back from holiday in Europe, it's time to get back to work on this Zed.

Last week I went to the shop and started to put together items that I know I am going to replace on this car including the cracked and fogged tail lights as well as the tail light surrounds which had been poorly painted the wrong color with no prep.

I located a nice set of replacement tail lights and some good tail light surrounds in much better condition that the current ones.

As I started to remove the tail light surrounds I noticed that they were installed with metal rivets instead of the correct plastic rivets. After removing the lights and surrounds I was very happy to find no rust and no damage to the metal tail light frame. I cleaned up everything and installed the replacement tail lights and surrounds. No need to prep and paint the tail light frame as the car will need to be blown apart and painted at some time down the road. I just want to replace damaged or incorrect parts wherever possible with parts I have from my stash at the shop.

Really happy with the hatch slam panel condition and finally got a car that does not need rust repair in that area.

Next up, I will put together a nice license plate light assembly and remove the rear bumper to straighten up a bit if possible.

I already located a factory set of front wings that I will collect next week.

It looks like I am going to remove the original 4 speed transmission and replace it with a roadster 5 speed that I currently have at the shop.

Also going to replace the stock exhaust with a twin pipe set up I have collecting dust in the shop.

I have a set of Panasport wheels that will go on the car too, should really start to look like something in a few weeks and I am looking forward to using some of the extra parts I have that have been sitting around for many years......yea.

Mike

IMG_9414.jpeg

IMG_9423.jpeg

IMG_9421.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

SacCyclone

Club Member
Trailered to the shop today:

Drained old fuel from tank and changed out fuel filter.
Removed AC Delco spark plugs and replaced with NGK plugs.
Checked plug leads and found they were not in the correct firing order so corrected that big mistake.
Point gap set at 40....too wide. Reset to 18.
Found that the rev counter wire would cause no spark at the distributer so removed the rev counter wire and was able to get spark to the distributor and plugs.
Rear SU float was adjusted too low and not getting enough fuel into the float bowl, floats were adjusted.

Attached a new battery and she fired up, a little adjusting of the SU's and got her running very well.....happy that there is no smoke out the exhaust and the engine runs very well. All the gages work except for the rev counter now.

It is always a risk buying a car that does not run even if the owner states that it was running recently. The fuel in the tank was very old so I don't think it had ran in several years.

Very excited that it seems to run good and the clutch and transmission work good too....able to drive it off the trailer. Brakes work but the brake light on the dash comes on when depressing the brake pedal so need to address that.

I found that the rear bumper was installed upside down so will need to correct that and wondering what else we will find tomorrow.

Good news is that the driver side front wing that I thought would need to be replaced is going to be welded and straightened by my mate so that's a plus.

More to come tomorrow along with some pics.

Cheers.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Brakes work but the brake light on the dash comes on when depressing the brake pedal so need to address that.

That seems dodgy as the wire is usually wired into the indicator stalk on the US cars? The handbrake is wired to the dash ofc. Enables when the brake is on, similar switch on the brake pedal.

Perhaps the new owner should take a look for any potential gremlins from previous owners?

SacCyclone

Club Member
I think once I bleed the front and rear brakes that should take care of the brake light issue on the dash. If not I will get it sorted before the car is moved on.

Today, I was getting the Panasports wheels cleaned up and ready for tires on Thursday.

Replaced the black painted air cleaner with a spare so it looks correct now.

Battery kept the charge all night while connected so I have escaped any battery draw gremlins.

Ordered front spoiler and rear air dam from Motorsport Auto last night and got a e-mail from them today saying the front is on back order. Typical MSA website that show items in stock but finding out they are back ordered......just a way to get you to order parts and then keep you hanging for weeks and months for the parts. Calling them tomorrow and will order directly from customer service rep, I have them go and see if they actually have the parts before I get off the phone with them. The way business is done anymore but still frustrating.

Mike

SacCyclone

Club Member
Removed rear bumper today and got it straightened, not perfect but much better and at least it won't be installed upside down this time.

Removed the front DS wing and began to straighten out the sheet metal from a light punt just behind the tire. Also going to weld up all the holes the previous owner drilled to pull out the dent. The wing is really in solid shape so I don't want to replace it and a plus is that it has no rust. Should look pretty good in a few days.

Did some color sanding on the deck and roof to knock 30 years of dirt and oxidation off the baked paint. Followed up with some machine polish for some shine on patina look.

Still will be a ratty baked Zed but at least it will look like someone cares enough to put some time and labor into her.

Few pics from today.

Have new hatch vents to be installed.
Hatch lock removed to have a new key made.
Removed the aftermarket antenna and will replace with original.
The rear spoiler and front air dam arrived today so will have to collect those tomorrow from the UPS store.

IMG_9838.jpegIMG_9836.jpeg

Removed front wing and happy with all the metal behind the wing. I will hit it with some primer before i replace the repaired wing. Not going to spray undercoat or anything heavy as the car needs to be blown apart in the future for a nice paint job.

IMG_9862.jpeg

IMG_9875.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

Happy with the scuttle panel after i cleaned up all the leaves and dirt out of it.......light surface rust but no rust through and clear drains.

IMG_9843.jpegIMG_9839.jpeg