18" tires are too big for my car... but they aren't

garrettsouth

New Forum User
I have a 91 300zx NA 2+2. I put on a set of 18" rims from my dads 90 300zx TT, which work great, except it hits on the front drivers side. It doesn't hit the side, but the top (the fender) when i hit any size bump. A few mechanics have glanced and said my shocks look fairly new. What could be the deal? Why would 18's work great on another Z, but hurt mine? Please help...

Tired springs would come to mind. Even though the shocks can damper the effect of going over the bumps, tired springs would cause the car to move more up and down hence the interferance. I would possibly say that the TT springs were tougher as well.

NA is slightly softer sprung than the TT equivalent...

So more travel when going over bumps hence the fouling I would assume.

Time to get some new springs I reckon, perhaps nick the ones off your old man's :D

First what are the differences between the wheels that work and the wheels that catch e.g. the tyres actual outside diameter, width and wheel rim offset?
Second are all the bushes and bearings on the suspension OK?
Third are all the setting within speck e.g. tracking, camber and caster angles?
Also where is the tyre catching e.g. at the top on the metal part of the wing or on the plastic inner wing or front and back during turns?

The standard shocks are gas filled and easily lose gas so most Z32s that still have their original shocks are no longer fully gas filled and could do with replacement. If you fit TT springs only on the front it may change your handling increase under steer would be my guess.

My front right tags, because the arch is bent, but only fractionally. I'm sure it's soft springs as mentioned, but failing that is there any chance the wing could have dropped on one side?? I'm guessing the clearance both sides are equal to start?

Pictures!! :)

Back