Zinc plating....

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have been wondering what the limitations are when trying to re zinc plate original parts. Such as the inner workings of doors i.e. window mechanisms and the like. A lot of the stuff cant be dismantled so can it be plated? Also there are plastic parts attached to metal bits that seem to be heat welded in place, can these pieces still be done with the plastic in situ? I'm sure its possible just not sure of the process really.

Mike B

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
The plastic items can be coverd in a heat shrink tape along with any threads you don't want plated. as for bolt holes, shove an old bolt in it.Plating and the acid dips turn all plastic white as I found out.:(

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Good luck with the plating. it has taken me a long time to find the right person to do my work. Here are some pieces from the current batch. Should have a selection on sale at Billing

flash pictures just spoil everything. you need to see the pieces to appreciate the quality.
As with many processes in the motor/eng trade the preparation is more important than the final process.

Attachments

• jul 07 misc 004 (Medium).jpg
    jul 07 misc 004 (Medium).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 35

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I've found that rubber copes with the plating process very well - I thought I'd showed you my bonnet retaining springs ? - they look like new !!!!

Not tried plastic though.

I', curious to know what it'd do to a brake master cylinder caps - late model with the wires that you can't buy new any more.

the alligator

Forum User
The father in law work for company that does Galvanizing and the gave me some cans of cold galvanizing spray that they use for touch up damaged galvanize surfaces. Which I have used and looks great and appears to work,
(with tell you more in couple of years time).

The Alligator

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the replys everyone. I will have to do a couple of trial peices to see how they come out.

Rob not sure that you did? If you can, you will have to show me Thursday. BTW Jez cant make it.

Mike B