Zinc plating kits

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
Looks interesting, be careful of the fumes though.
There's a few people doin this now and some have calculated quite well what voltage and time they need to get the perfect coating.
You could set up a sideline doin z specific parts.

candy red

Club Member
Yes I've used one got mine from Frost was pleased with results though not really shiny but still good.
Parts still look good now been done about 5 years now .

Derrick :)

spitdigger

Club Member
Got one of those, used with good initial sucess but later results have been a bit patchy finish wise but still well coated for rust protection

toopy

Club Member
Yes I've used one got mine from Frost was pleased with results though not really shiny but still good.
Parts still look good now been done about 5 years now .

Derrick :)

Got one of those, used with good initial sucess but later results have been a bit patchy finish wise but still well coated for rust protection

Ok, thanks guys, think i'll give it a go, as it's not overly expensive when you consider how much some of the chemicals/powder can cost.
I read that the chemical solutions can last for years, with maybe slight adjustments along the way, if you take the care to not get them too filthy.

Saw a video where a guy used a fine net bag around the Zinc anode to catch most of the powder/sediment that is released when plating, stopping the tank/bucket/bowl slowly filling with powdery gunk and discolouring the liquid.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I use one of those kits too.
The main considerations are maintaining the cleanliness of all the equipment you use and finding a place to store all your kit. It takes up a lot of space!
You will end up with half a dozen large containers of acids, pickling solutions, cleaners, your plating bath and any other colouring passivates you use, ie yellow and black. The car battery you use plus all the cables etc.

You can get good results, but practice 1st esp wrt to yellow passivate etc.

PS Wear the safety gloves, I'm terrible for taking them off and picking wet stuff up and wondering why my hands are burning!