Z32 heater matrix replacement

hillythefish

New Forum User
Hi I have a z32 n/a and have a massive leak on my heater matrix can anyone help with any info on the best way to remove and replace I already have a recon one cheers

Mr.F

Inactive
Australian 300ZX Owners Association Technical Library: Content / Interior / Dash removal with pictures

Guide for RHD with pictures to get the dash out via link above!
Remove the air con and heater ducts. Remove the big cross bar.
Undo heater hoses at back of the engine where they connect to the heater pipes.
You can then release heater box, air-con box and blower motor from the bulkhead.
Remove A/C amp from the heater box to expose the heater control valve and matrix - remove and replace with new unit.
Reverse steps, double-checking all the way - it's real easy to forget something as there are so many parts and screws involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

madmarco

Someone will probably advise not removing the dash. It is possible to replace the matrix this way but you risk damaging parts and not getting it perfect. I've done it both ways and removing the dash is by far the best way to go, and easier than it sounds.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Someone will probably advise not removing the dash. It is possible to replace the matrix this way but you risk damaging parts and not getting it perfect. I've done it both ways and removing the dash is by far the best way to go, and easier than it sounds.

+1 I'm with Marco. Removing the whole box, then replacing the matrix is much better and actually easier, than doing it the other way. The only difference is time, and that difference is only by about an hour or so. You can have the whole dash out in about an hour if you're handy with a ratchet and a screwdriver.

Mr.F

Inactive
On the few occasions I've tackled the job, I've taken the dash out. I don't agree with the short cut method and, as noted, you run the risk of breakage and you will be working in a much more uncomfortable situation.
I have a local customer who has just done this and it gave him the opportunity to correct all sorts of small faults and breakages in and around the dash caused by previous efforts...

hillythefish

New Forum User
Your all stars job done I'm just putting it all back together and didnt take note to where all the different screws go hit and miss I think lol thank you all again