Z32 2+2... those rear seat things...

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Folks,

I'm thinking about getting an N/A 2+2 and one critical aspect is practicality. It'll be our second car and needs to be something my Wife can use if the family wagon is kaput or being serviced or something (which is why I'm looking at a 2+2 rather than a 2-seater).

Question is... just how usable are those back seats? Now, I wouldn't have thought an adult would fit in unless (a) they're a dwarf and (b) the person in front of them is a dwarf as well, but I have two daughters aged 5 and 10. The 5 year old would go in the back but needs a booster seat. Has anyone EVER put a booster seat in there?

Cheers all,

Tony

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
I have sat in the back of a Z32 2+2 and it is just about bearable if you are only going for a 30 min drive, (better than a Z31!!!) so a 5 and 10 year old should have no problems.
Don't know about booster seats..........

Arkwright

Inactive
My lad has a Z32 2+2 & seems to cram several mates in it (all big hairy-arsed buggers) when they go out.

Also there is a thread about somewhere, mayby 300zx site, re booster seats

daves_new_zx

Well-Known Forum User
Tony,

I own a 2+2, that, up until recently, had Jap lap belts in the rear. My kids have always used these lap belts without any problems (Kids are 9 & 7) I've just obtained and fitted a set of the UK spec three point lap/diagonal belts, these fit straight into the rear PROPER mounting points. The kids love them and have no shoulder rubbing problems with the belts.
As for booster seats, the thread on the 300zx.co.uk site refers to (I believe) someone placed bin liners into the rear bucket seats, then filled the bucket with expanding foam up to a level point. This can be shaped to give a snug fit for a booster seat. The downside to this is that it would seriously increase the height of the seating position for the rear.
Now I've not bothered with any of this as my son is taller than the new regulations, and my daughter is only one inch shorter than them.

Anyway, I hope that is of some use to you.

Dave

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
My wife did travel for short distances in the back of our old Z32 and my daughter used to travel in the rear of the Z31 with a booster seat.
I'm going to get 3 point rear belts for the back of my Jspec Z32, but I haven't tried my 6 year old's booster seat in there yet!

daves_new_zx

Well-Known Forum User
To be perfectly honest, I doubt any booster seats will fit properly, because of the bucket arrangement. Or even if they did sit square, if you did have an accident, I doubt they would do a very good job, if not cause further injuries!

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Thanks again for extra info. IMHO the buckets are snugger than a regular seat anyway. Certainly for a child! The law says we HAVE to have a booster for our youngest (she's 5) but I'd like to meet the copper who can fit one into a 2+2 back seat!

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
booster seats

hi all
i own a jap 300zx tt and have just the lap belts in the rear, have 2 kids, 7 and 5. my missus is not happy with the lap belt and ask loads of mechs to install 3 point belts, all said it can't be done.
dave can you, if poss, post some pics where you positioned the belts so can do my self or show a mech how its done.
cheers mate.
al.

nearly finished my 300zx tt project, pics soon, i love it!!!

its a zed thing baby.

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
alanz said:
hi all
i own a jap 300zx tt and have just the lap belts in the rear, have 2 kids, 7 and 5. my missus is not happy with the lap belt and ask loads of mechs to install 3 point belts, all said it can't be done.
dave can you, if poss, post some pics where you positioned the belts so can do my self or show a mech how its done.
cheers mate.
al.

nearly finished my 300zx tt project, pics soon, i love it!!!

its a zed thing baby.

chunk

Im not normal
Club Member
Just to let you know, i have a full rear UK seatbelt conversion somewhere

Offer me :)

Rich

daves_new_zx

Well-Known Forum User
Please see the attached pics, they show the panel finish as well as the underneath mounting positions, well except for the upper mount, but thats just behind the plastic panel.
ALL of the welded-in threads should already be there (for the rear belts, but not for the front ones) You require the mount for the real, of which you will have to cut a small section out of the trim panel where the belt goes up to the upper mount (make sure you receive this plastic finisher as well, see photo). You will have to drill a hole in the plastic upper trim for the upper mount ( you'll need to remove the tail gate dampener so that you can remove the trim for drilling). The lower mount is the same as for the lap belt, and NO cutting of any panels will be required for this part, as it's already there.
Obviously the guy's you've spoken to don't know F***-all about Zeds!

Hope that is of use to you.

Dave

Attachments

• 300zx 001.jpg
    300zx 001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 300zx 002.jpg
    300zx 002.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 300zx 003.jpg
    300zx 003.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 58

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
rear belts

hi dave
just looked at your pics, and yes a big help, will install my self, gonna get my 3 point belts on monday, f**king mech's, think they know it all!!!!!!
cheers mate, ur a star.
(wifey will be happy now!!)
alan

its a zed thing baby!! (1 pic in gallery, more to follow!!)

Alan Mac

Forum User
Belts bought (thanks pmac) and fitted. Very easy job. Rear interior panels even have a moulding mark on the inside where you have to drill for the upper mounts. I put some masking tape over this mark, centred the bolt, drew round it and drilled to just over the line.
Only awkward bits are un-doing the tailgate struts. 12 mm nut needs undone and there's a lot of power in those struts. Nearly took my bloody hand off. lol. Needs an able bodied assistant to hold the tailgate up to re-mount them. And re-tensioning the belts requires un-doing three screws on the reel cover so you can disengage the toothed mechanism to let the belt pull out from the reel far enough to install bolts, then putting cover back on to re-engage teeth before mounting the reel.
Otherwise it's a piece of p*ss. Did mine in an hour.
Thanks again to pmac for his help. Very much appreciated. Missus can now use her new toy in anger with the little one securely strapped in.

tarajr

New Forum User
I just bought a 1987 300zx2+2 and have the same prob with the back belts. I am not too handy so wondered if you could provide more pictures and details on how you removed the stock ones and replaced it with the 3-point. I will probably not do it myself but want as much detail as possible to bring to a mechanic

The more detail the better.

Thanks in advance!

Mr Ex

Inactive
I just bought a 1987 300zx2+2 and have the same prob with the back belts. I am not too handy so wondered if you could provide more pictures and details on how you removed the stock ones and replaced it with the 3-point. I will probably not do it myself but want as much detail as possible to bring to a mechanic

The more detail the better.

Thanks in advance!

You better ask Andy..........zxtreme@blueyonder.co.uk