Z Mirrors

Mr.G

Club Member
Does anyone know if UK 240Z's  came with mirrors or where they an aftermarket option by the Datsun UK dealers?? The reason I ask is that I've seen some pics of UK 240Z's with no mirrors at all.

Is there a Z Mirror?? Or can any "chrome" mirror of the 70's be described as a Z mirror? see my point?

Thanks.

Mr.F

Inactive
There are no official door mount mirrors listed as a Datsun/Nissan part for the UK cars. As far as I am aware, all UK imports came bare and the dealers fitted whatever was the current aftermarket mirror available, usually something like the Autosafe universal door mirror.

The Japanese market has the safety wing mirror fitted - a sprung loaded, styled round mirror on a raised pedestal, but no door mirrors.Part numbers 96301-E4100 and 96302-E4100, are unbelievably still listed on the Nissan price fiche for the UK at £71.00 + VAT each!

The USA market had an "official" Datsun mirror which you will see on some UK brochure cars (part number 96301-E4600) and available as a LH mirror only at £85.31 + VAT for 240Z and £63.60 + VAT for 260Z (USA order only). I am told that this LH mirror for the 240Z can be rotated to work effectively on a RH door....Don't know about the 260Z version.

The same situation applies to the 280ZX - other markets had their own mirror options (wing mounted in Japan, electric door mount option in USA), but good old UK importers got them with nothing and fitted the universal type as requested by customers. These aftermarket mirrors have just about dried up as regular supply in the UK. I used to be able to obtain the Tex Classic which was a good match, but these seem to have been discontinued. Will at Datman had a supply of Autosafe replicated, but now these are all gone. I have a few LH only Autosafe! Any leads gratefully followed!

Sorry, didn't mean to make this into an MJP advert - who would have thought a sad anorak could write so much about mirrors. Been talking to Kevin Bristow too much.....

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks for the info I finally know the truth!

You think your a sad anorak?? Don't forget who brought this topic up!!