Z car values

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
We have a great insurance valuations officer and together with all the ads that we see, cars sold that we know of, can the club not compile an up to date valuation for each model, updated regularly ?

Yes, I know your first question - but every car is unique - how can one generalise ? I dunno but I feel that this should be a service that the club supplies as we are the most knoledgeable source, hey, we might even begin a trend and save some cars getting scrapped as they're worth more alive than dead !

Can this be discussed and do the big bosses see this as yet another club exclusive and another reason to join us ?

DR1VER

Well-Known Forum User
I agree, but it always comes down to a persons opinion on the value of a car. you can get a good idea of the value by seeing what the cars are selling for.

parmenter

Well-Known Forum User
values

Good point monsiuer dazart ! but the value of cars are very up and down but i suppose u could put a reasonable broad value on each marque but it would only be very broad! most common car now i value is the z32! sign of the times i feel :p hows life in france aswell ?

parmenter

Well-Known Forum User
great?

cheers sean aswell never been called great before nice one i suppose i will hav to change my name to the one and only great parmenter!!!!!!!:D :D :D

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
good basic idea but very hard to give even a reasnable guide, the reason is most cars can look great fron the outside but when you start to look very close it gets really rather sad. for example; if a person was after a 260z, a 2 seater and a 2+2 were side by side and they were both priced at 5k, the 2+2 had no rot but the 2 seater had loads of welding underneath, most people would still opt for the 2 seater(if you had to buy one) i do find that sad, but a fact. unless of course it was a pink :eek: 2+2!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Bloody French keyboards !

"very hard to give even a reasnable guide, the reason is most cars can look great fron the outside but when you start to look very close it gets really rather sad"

Never said it would be easy !

"a 260z, a 2 seater and a 2+2 were side by side and they were both priced at 5k, the 2+2 had no rot but the 2 seater had loads of welding underneath, most people would still opt for the 2 seater(if you had to buy one) i do find that sad"

You can't help the johnnies ( the all-look and wannabes) - if they're gonna chose one car over another not on condition but because the other 'looks' better or is slightly cheaper, they'll do it anyway ! What we can do is give the reflective potential Z owner, the best info available on which to choose !

It aint all that difficult, we never had so much model choice and the imported models could be dealt with on a seperate list !

Against the 240s and 260s, could be listed imported cars (predominately lhd) !

240Z (tax exempt)
240Z
260Z (2 seater)
260Z 2+2
280ZX 2 seater
280ZX 2+2
300ZX (pre face-lift) turbo
300ZX (pre face-lift) non - turbo
300ZX (face lift) turbo
300ZX (face lift) non - turbo
300ZX Z32

Imports

240Z
260Z
280Z 2
280Z 2+2
280ZX Turbo (import)
300ZX 2 seater (pre facelift import) turbo and non - turbo
300ZX Z32 (2 seater) turbo
300ZX Z32 (2 seater) non - turbo
300ZX Z32 2+2 turbo
300ZX Z32 2+2 non - turbo

I'm sure that I've forgotten some and you :) will correct me but you get the gist !

Next, condition categories (with explanations at the bottom of the page, guided by an asterix) that determine how a car should be classed) :

concours (enjoy it)
excellent (turn the key and go - underneath is clean)
very good (some finishing required - underneath is clean)

Note : All cars above this point are mechanically correct and clean underneath !
good (finishing required, panels/paintwork, perhaps some mechanical work too but car is driveable)

average (major work necessary including some or all of the following : chassis repairs/re-trim/re-paint/mechanical rebuild
below average (total rebuild if chassis no./rarity warrants or break for parts)
salvage (for parts only)

There will be some exceptions - it should be stated that more emphasis is placed on correct bodywork (especially underneath) than on a clean interior/new paintwork/overhauled engine !

Of course, it should be said that all prices are speculative until the car is officially valued by the club for only 30 (35 ?) quid (insurance officers' contact details supplied), cheap at the price with club membership thrown in :)

Car would be given a time elapsed ref. number that could be quoted in ads/articles etc to avoid Joe Dough looking on our site and claiming XXX value - as confirmed by The Z Club when nobody has ever seen the car !

Let's face it, if The Z Club can't sort something out, and even if it is a general guide to most models, no-one else can ! We should be seen to be THE definitive place of knowledge in the UK on these cars - a price reference should be part of that !

So, what do you think ?

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Never said it would be easy !

"
It aint all that difficult, we never had so much model choice and the imported models could be dealt with on a seperate list !

Against the 240s and 260s, could be listed imported cars (predominately lhd) !

240Z (tax exempt)
240Z
260Z (2 seater)
260Z 2+2
280ZX 2 seater
280ZX 2+2
300ZX (pre face-lift) turbo
300ZX (pre face-lift) non - turbo
300ZX (face lift) turbo
300ZX (face lift) non - turbo
300ZX Z32

Imports

240Z
260Z
280Z 2
280Z 2+2
280ZX Turbo (import)
300ZX 2 seater (pre facelift import) turbo and non - turbo
300ZX Z32 (2 seater) turbo
300ZX Z32 (2 seater) non - turbo
300ZX Z32 2+2 turbo
300ZX Z32 2+2 non - turbo

I'm sure that I've forgotten some and you :) will correct me but you get the gist !

Next, condition categories (with explanations at the bottom of the page, guided by an asterix) that determine how a car should be classed) :

concours (enjoy it)
excellent (turn the key and go - underneath is clean)
very good (some finishing required - underneath is clean)

Note : All cars above this point are mechanically correct and clean underneath !
good (finishing required, panels/paintwork, perhaps some mechanical work too but car is driveable)

average (major work necessary including some or all of the following : chassis repairs/re-trim/re-paint/mechanical rebuild
below average (total rebuild if chassis no./rarity warrants or break for parts)
salvage (for parts only)

There will be some exceptions - it should be stated that more emphasis is placed on correct bodywork (especially underneath) than on a clean interior/new paintwork/overhauled engine !

Of course, it should be said that all prices are speculative until the car is officially valued by the club for only 30 (35 ?) quid (insurance officers' contact details supplied), cheap at the price with club membership thrown in :)

Car would be given a time elapsed ref. number that could be quoted in ads/articles etc to avoid Joe Dough looking on our site and claiming XXX value - as confirmed by The Z Club when nobody has ever seen the car !

Let's face it, if The Z Club can't sort something out, and even if it is a general guide to most models, no-one else can ! We should be seen to be THE definitive place of knowledge in the UK on these cars - a price reference should be part of that !

So, what do you think ?

I think you will make a great job of it Sean,well done and thankyou for offering your time, I'm, sure we will all appreciate it when youv'e finnished it!( is it going to be another book review?):D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
When I've got all my books back - I'll write something ! However, if some clever dick starts commentating "no way, that book was alright" or "but that book was crap", I'll sabotage the whole process - UNDERSTOOD ?

Sure, I can draft something up but then it'll have to go before others who're better qualified than me ! Remember that I left the UK back in 1993 and no little other than what I see sporadically on this forum on present values !

So Grolls, I'll draft something up, send it to you and you and ???? take it from there - ok ? But maybe you'd like to offer it to the great one who values these cars first before again employing yet another 'foreigner' :) ?
What do you say Pete ?

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
SeanDezart said:
However, if some clever dick starts commentating "no way, that book was alright" or "but that book was crap", I'll sabotage the whole process - UNDERSTOOD ?

QUOTE]

why?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Because I'm a little tired of peoples' negative attitude ! If I make an effort to do something, I don't want to hear squeaky little voices saying "well, I'd've done it better" !

You aint the only one who can rant and rave Steve !

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
When I've got all my books back - I'll write something ! However, if some clever dick starts commentating "no way, that book was alright" or "but that book was crap", I'll sabotage the whole process - UNDERSTOOD ?

Sure, I can draft something up but then it'll have to go before others who're better qualified than me ! Remember that I left the UK back in 1993 and no little other than what I see sporadically on this forum on present values !

So Grolls, I'll draft something up, send it to you and you and ???? take it from there - ok ? But maybe you'd like to offer it to the great one who values these cars first before again employing yet another 'foreigner' :) ?
What do you say Pete ?

as if i would pass a negative comment....tut,tut.!!!!!!!

If you are willing to write book reviews and draw up a valuation table, hand on heart i will do my upmost to help you in any way i can, but be warned it's no light task and one i think you should think about carefuly before you say yes, of course you and him could always write it together!!!!!

anything for the club i'm up for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I haven't seen many comments here on the subject ! Do people think that this is something of interest / value /relevance ?

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Very much so, but I'd have thought it was difficult to be anything other than rather vague. Not that I know much anyway....

So good luck!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Gotta start somewhere though ! Once something's in place it can be updated frequently as values are completed / cars are seen to be sold and the purchase prices noted !

Remember that a Zs / ZXs value is what the market will pay, not what WE think it's value ought to be :)

I shall be especially marking down 260Z 2+2s so that those owners who have them can ineveitably see their values shoot up as the rest are junked for parts :)
No need to do it for 280ZXs as they've already reached that point !

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Go for it Sean, it would be great to get something of this nature up on the forum, if you could get the basics together, draft something up then maybe Pete can have a look at it and we can go from there.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Don't tell anybody but 'will you have my babies' ? :) ?

Sorry, I had a very bad afternoon, have drowned it all in a very good red and appreciate that someone offers me a positive comment at last (without threats) !

You still owe me a response to my earlier email ! :)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
What a totally useless waste of time.
Just spend some time with the family Sean.Much more useful.
We already have a well qualified valutions officer for insurance purposes.
Dont try and reinvent the wheel.