Z Car Newbie!

smoody

Forum User
Hi Guys!

Just bought a 260z as my new project, many interesting plans in mind so watch this space.

but first... could someone help! i paid a membership for the club but now what, pressing the add car button seems to lead me to a blank screen...

am i missing something?

second! any reccomendations on places in the uk to buy replacement panels?
i can only seem to find US Sites. i may end up just making my own but im a bit reluctant to make new dront chassis legs!

This 260 is getting done properly! and i hope to see some of you guys in some future meets!

a little about me...
i compete in drift competitons driving my nissan skyline R32 with an Rb25 engine driving for automotive workz drift team (known as Smoody).
i am sponsored by quite a few companies so if you need anything i may be able to sort something out!
Sponsors :
Autopaints express
Rota wheels
Kinzuru Kits
eTyres
Sumo power
Drift Apparel
Drift Garage
eightyOne81

Third! if anyone knows of or has a roof skin for a 260 i would be apprechiative for sending me some details :D

and sorry to the mods for posting wanted's in the welcome section...:bow:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Smoody, welcome to the Club.

I'll sort your membership stuff out now and get back to you.

I think there is a market for Z roof-skins atm! I know 3 people who would like a new one.

Rob

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
I think there is a market for Z roof-skins atm! I know 3 people who would like a new one.
Make that 4 people Rob, Mine is rotting out on the front edge so it's gonna get patched up or if I can find a skin then re-skinned.

Welcome to the club Smoody

:driving:

smoody

Forum User
much apprechiated!

mine has been fitted with a sunroof and want to rid myself of that first, but other than that the front of the roof is terminal, dont want to patch it and risk ruining the amazing roof line!

can roof skins only be found from breakers or are there any expert roof panel beaters on this forum :)

richiep

Club Member
Welcome to the club. :thumbs:

Is it a 2-seater or 2+2? Where did you get it? Inquiring minds like to know!

With the sudden demand for roof skins, any UK supplies are going to dry up fast. There are no pattern roof skins. It's off a breaker or nothing at all.

Keep en eye on the US Z sites classified sections and be prepared that your best option may be to import. There simply aren't enough UK ones to go around I suspect. And people that do have them are going to increasingly be reluctant to sell just in case.

Sponsored by Rota? Tell them to stop being such wusses pandering to the MX-5 girlies and start offering more size, finish, and aggressive negative offset choice in their RKRs and other retro-focused designs. Other markets get far more choice than the UK. If they want to generate sales from people who've fitted over-fenders, lets see some 15x9.5 et-19 wheels and the like! :devil:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
.............but first... could someone help! i paid a membership for the club but now what, pressing the add car button seems to lead me to a blank screen...

am i missing something?

Yes you were missing a Membership Number ;) It should work now, your number is 1014 but it may know that automatically now.

You were trying to 'jump the gun' typical drifter :smash:

smoody

Forum User
haha that sounds like me! thanks again!

and yes i completely agree on the rota front, negative is needed!!
like i say if anyone needs anything from anywhere give me a shout and i may be able to help.

i best get scouring the US Market then! they seem to have all the 240/260 goodies!

its a 2 seater not +2.

ill post up a build thread when i get some spare time and maybe get some 260 guru input from you all!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
One important fact to start with is that almost any panel will be on a scale of "tricky" to outright "imossible" to get hold of from within the UK

The reason.......there are only a couple of hundred S30's registered in the UK where they were never a "big" seller from day one (why I dont quiet know), any breakers have almost certainly been hoovered up by now and the bits squirrled away.

In the states it was one of the all time top sellers so there are stillquiet a few cars in circulation.

Certain shell parts are being re manufactuered but they wont be cheap and they are limited to sills, floor pans, chassis rails etc.

An NOS inner wing or a rear quarter for instance is rarer than hens teeth.

A good source of parts and knowledge is MJP Auto (Mr F on here)

smoody

Forum User
Appreciating all the info and help! I can understand that skidell! Seems there's only about 50 left in the UK or something!
Roof skin is one of the last things I'm going to do so got a good few months to source one from the states :) guess I'm gonna make some one over there plenty of money with my shopping list!

You have said it now dale, now in going to be asking you for any spare part you have haha
I know 3 people within a 10 mile radius of me with 260's! None of them on the road haha

Wyn

Club Member
Hi mate, good to hear of another Z car making its way back onto the road

tbh a roof from the states might be your best bet atm ?
As said a few peeps are looking for one, so it could be the best ways would be to all club in n buy 10 lol :thumbs:

Dale

Club Member
You have said it now dale, now in going to be asking you for any spare part you have haha
I know 3 people within a 10 mile radius of me with 260's! None of them on the road haha

Sorry, no spares; my roof is in use too ;)

I know of a 240Z in Sunderland and another dissolving quickly. There used to be a JDM Fairlady Zed quite close to me too but not sure if the chap still has it or not.

Any pictures of yours then? And what are your plans with it?

smoody

Forum User
The 260 that i have, i bought off Graham from Car and Bike magic.

he has the red 240 with racing colours and white circle on the side. this was the one he was going to build but i pestered him at the right time to sell it as he was moving premises!

10940573_10204848450082594_5281174870247773338_n.jpg

10451717_10204848443962441_6731804713911345655_n.jpg

10930916_10204848443722435_1367796731302102306_n.jpg

10952346_10204848451362626_5874833674599704276_n.jpg

1380526_10204848446282499_4074857135376433626_n.jpg

10929554_10204848445722485_7486094141690883046_n.jpg

as it sits now whilst i fix the rust:
10953976_10204865133139660_6768032687883808446_n.jpg

My plans are to keep it looking like a 260 but wit my touches haha,

engine wise i want supercharged v8 with around 400bhp

exterior i havent decided on front bumper but ill be selling the rear and front bumper that came on the car so if anyone could shed some insight on to how much that rear in the pics is worth i would apprechiate it! probably going for a US sort of front lip and no chrome bumpers round the car.

some wide arches that are smoothed into the car, not rivet on.
nice wide and deep wheels.

the interior is pretty immaculate so want to keep it the way it is! but with a nice nardi steering wheel and rear half roll cage. unsure about seats but i dont want buckets, just some nice looking seats.

plenty of plans! just need to solidify the thing first haha otherwise it will never see 400bhp without twisting itself to pieces!

smoody

Forum User
ohh and fully polubushed all round, coilovers and probably some tweaking with alighment setups making some rose jointed arms and stuff for it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks for the pictures - you have some work there!

Roof - yes you need one! Guys how has that rotted at the front, is it leakage from the sunroof running forward?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale

Club Member
Crikey Sam, when I said I knew of a car 'dissolving quickly' in Sunderland it was that one at Graham's place.

smoody

Forum User
Yeah I thought it may have been! Hence why I needed to save it before it was too far gone! Graham wanted to but he had so much on with moving places etc. floor isn't too bad, panels aren't bad, front chassis legs I want to replace, passenger chassis rail I want to replace, inner door skins need work, roof needs replacing and the sun roof removing!

Dale

Club Member
Well good luck with it, I think you'll need it. :p

Keep the picture and progress coming. There's plenty of very experienced Zed folk on here to pitch in advice which will be useful, but expect no holds barred comments and opinions along the way. ;) :D