Z Car Garage on Youtube

Pondo

Club Member
I love watching these, the others are also pretty interesting and it’s great to watch something with interesting Z content.

.......I knew the early s30s had vertical heater strips but never realised that the very early cars had nothing.......also really wish I had a 432R steering wheel and seats for my car.

toopy

Club Member
You know you've got a problem when even your forklift is a Datsun :D nice nerdy touch that the ID plate is just like the cars.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
.......I knew the early s30s had vertical heater strips but never realised that the very early cars had nothing.

This refers - of course - to the earliest North American market cars, which were somewhat more de-contented than you might expect (part of tug-o'-war between spec and RRP) and didn't even have carpets. Heated, tinted hatch glass was available from the beginning of production on Japanese 'Deluxe' models, while 'Standard' models got unheated, untinted clear glass and would have to pay extra for the defrost. Other Export markets - notably Australia - had unheated glass too, as defrost was deemed unlikely to be required.

But why would a mid 1970-production HLS30U have an unheated hatch glass? Obviously it is non-standard for this car's production date, so why was it fitted? I see no performance advantage. There's no measurable weight difference. My guess is that it was simply available on the shelf (whether by design or accident) at Datsun Competition USA - like a lot of other parts on the car - and incorporated in their later, Grande Nosed, rebuild of the ex-Racer Brown Bonneville car.

The way they talk about the 'BRE' #46 car it seems these people want to have their cake AND eat it. Sorry, if it's not the original bodyshell then it's not the 'original' car. The identity of the car rides on Part Number One, the bodyshell. Yes, it may have a lot of parts from the original #46 BRE car incorporated in the build, but that doesn't make it the original car. It's a replica. Why dance around on the head of a pin? Call it what it is.

Pondo

Club Member
The way they talk about the 'BRE' #46 car it seems these people want to have their cake AND eat it. Sorry, if it's not the original bodyshell then it's not the 'original' car. The identity of the car rides on Part Number One, the bodyshell. Yes, it may have a lot of parts from the original #46 BRE car incorporated in the build, but that doesn't make it the original car. It's a replica. Why dance around on the head of a pin? Call it what it is.

Interesting stuff, and makes sense in terms of parts suitable for the domestic markets such as Australia.

I agree about the BRE car I can’t see it as being more than a close replica. I guess over here it would be like putting a load of samuri parts on my car and calling it a......well let’s not go down that road.

Still great to see all these cars being talked about and discussed. Since owning my car I have definitely started appreciating more the differences between models and even find a fondness growing for the 510 for instance and pickups that once I wouldn’t really have given much time.

peter_s

Club Member
I love this shop.
The contact I've had with them has been so good, very service minded!

Larrys videos are great, the perfect guy to shoot these, having a S30 himself and being an enthusiast. Glad to hear he didn't have to sell his a fem years back.