Yellow 240z "series 1"

johnymd

Club Member
Forgive the tittle but I don't know how to easily describe an early car with no tool boxes and tailgate vents.

The long wait is nearly over as the boat nears the end of the English Channel. Should land at around 12:00 and I'm hoping to pick it up this week. Plans for this one are not ambitious. I will retain the originality of the paintwork. Powder coat all the suspension to preserve its rust free I pitted condition. New bushes, ball joint and track rod ends. Replace the interior with black leather and restore the dash. May even try one of the leather dash covers. Soak the car in wax oil/dinatrol and enjoy for the rest of the summer.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 58

johnymd

Club Member
A couple of picture from the US.

Attachments

• 2016-07-12 07.53.55.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.53.55.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 2016-07-12 07.53.58.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.53.58.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2016-07-12 07.54.04.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.54.04.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 2016-07-12 07.54.16.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.54.16.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 2016-07-12 07.54.31.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.54.31.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2016-07-12 07.54.06.jpg
    2016-07-12 07.54.06.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It looks good John. So there are some still to be found then?

I do like the early cars. :thumbs:

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Forgive the tittle but I don't know how to easily describe an early car with no tool boxes and tailgate vents.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, why don't people like calling them series one cars? Is it just because Nissan never used this from the factory?

Exciting times, bet your looking forward to finally seeing it! That colour is growing on me the more I see it, suits the car very well. Mine got in earlier this week so have sympathy. Looking for forward to the updates :thumbs:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I'm glad I'm not the only one, why don't people like calling them series one cars? Is it just because Nissan never used this from the factory?

Yes, that's the main reason. Nissan never officially used such terms to describe the cars, and it's something that took root in the vernacular fairly long after the fact. It's also not a very good way of differentiating between what were in effect rolling updates, supersessions, improvements and refinements with somewhat nebulous up-to and start-from dates/chassis numbers. It's particularly risky to apply such terms across different markets and sub variants, as they were not all the same. However, the habit stuck for a reason and it was an attempt to make sense of a situation that was otherwise a little difficult to understand.

Ideally we'd describe the cars by market model/variant and build date I suppose, but that would require an already accepted basic knowledge of specs per-date and per-model which is a bit of a big ask. The 'major' detail differences are the ones we tend to notice most easily, and in the case of johnymd's yellow car I'd describe it as a 'Vented tailgate/non-vented quarter' car (as opposed to a 'Non-vented tailgate/vented quarter' car), which pretty much automatically identifies it as 1969 or 1970 build year. However, it could also be an early 1971 production-dated car and that's where the grey area in the cut-off starts...

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Looks a nice straight car John, great colour and if you picked it up for anything less than $10k a great buy :thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks for the info Alan. Perhaps I should of just called it an early car. Outside of Japan were they not just called 240z? And no ther model numbers?

The pictures were sent to me from the shippers so I guess it was their holding area. It went in the container with the red testerossa and I have a picture of them nearly touching.

Woody - where's the pictures of yours?

SacCyclone

Club Member
I see the UC Davis plate frame...must be the one that we spoke of a few weeks ago.

Can't wait to see more pics and see the improvements you make to the car John.

Cheers from sunny Ca.

Mike

johnymd

Club Member
Yes, that's the one Mike.

On a different subject, have you ever used California Datsun and do you know the owner? Any feedback on him?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yes, that's the main reason. Nissan never officially used such terms to describe the cars, and it's something that took root in the vernacular fairly long after the fact. It's also not a very good way of differentiating between what were in effect rolling updates, supersessions, improvements and refinements with somewhat nebulous up-to and start-from dates/chassis numbers. It's particularly risky to apply such terms across different markets and sub variants, as they were not all the same. However, the habit stuck for a reason and it was an attempt to make sense of a situation that was otherwise a little difficult to understand.

Ideally we'd describe the cars by market model/variant and build date I suppose, but that would require an already accepted basic knowledge of specs per-date and per-model which is a bit of a big ask. The 'major' detail differences are the ones we tend to notice most easily, and in the case of johnymd's yellow car I'd describe it as a 'Vented tailgate/non-vented quarter' car (as opposed to a 'Non-vented tailgate/vented quarter' car), which pretty much automatically identifies it as 1969 or 1970 build year. However, it could also be an early 1971 production-dated car and that's where the grey area in the cut-off starts...

Thanks for clarifying man, it seems a logical way for people to simply understand differences though imo. Albeit I can appreciate there were differences across the various different markets. Seems a lot more hassle going down that path, mine falls into the early 1971 production that has the vented tailgate/non vented quarter. All gets very confusing to me, either way thanks for taking the time to explain, I suppose there will never be a perfect way of explaining it to the masses! :unsure:

The pictures were sent to me from the shippers so I guess it was their holding area. It went in the container with the red testerossa and I have a picture of them nearly touching.

Woody - where's the pictures of yours?

Looks like its coming over with some other seriously interesting machinery! :bow:

Currently waiting, I've only got the sales ones at the moment, waiting to hopefully get some decent ones tomorrow, assuming I finally get to see it. I'll post them up on my post asap :thumbs:

SacCyclone

Club Member
Hi John,
I have not purchased from California Datsun. The address they provide is a mail box at the UPS Store. The photo they provide of the 3 cars sitting in a driveway looks to be a residence, not a business. Don't know the owner and have not heard of him before. He may be working out of his house and re-selling parts after you place the order. Not sure.

I use MSA (the Z store) for most of my stock parts, we have a commercial account.

I use other suppliers for performance parts and T3 for suspension parts as we have a commercial account with them too.

What parts are you looking for????

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks Mike. I'm guessing he doesn't stock much as a lot of the good are 3-6 week availability. The reason I asked is I've just ought a car from him and you never really know how legitimate people are. It's being picked up by the shippers today so I should get a few more pictures of it by the end of the week. The other one is coming from Susanville and is being collected latter this week.

I always need parts but was only going to buy from this seller as I could get them shipped with the car so no shipping cost and I'd maybe get away with duty. This would make a big difference to the end cost of parts.

I will no doubt Require parts for the yellow car but I don't really know what until I pick it up. The one thing I will need is the tailgate vents as I can see they are missing.

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks Terry but to put new vents on a tatty car will just not look right. I need tatty vent to match the car. I guess I could just buy the new one and kick them around the workshop for a bit. Maybe run over them so they look knackered. :)

johnymd

Club Member
Picked up the car from the port today and it exceeded my expectations. I've only ever seen half a dozen pictures of the car and non were that good so I was expecting to find a few problem areas. To my surprise there were none. It looks like the has all its original paint which also covers the inner arches and underside of the floor pans. Most of which is in good condition and intact. The is no underbody coating what so ever so it is just paint onto the metal panels. Doors close well and panel fit is good. I think I will be using clear dinatrol straight onto the underside paint and in the chassis cavities. I will need to get it up in the air and take some pictures but at the moment I'm very happy.

They just keep getting better.

PS. Its been a long day and ended up buying something from the auction after all.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 59

racer

Club Member
OH my god, you've bought something with a paint job!

You had better bring it round on Sunday, and I'll show you how to clean it.
I'll introduce you to a product called polish :D