Jordan 240z

Forum User
Hello guys,

I have been looking online in hope of finiding the right 240z for my own personalised resto Job.

The above statement speaks for itself I am looking for anything from just the shell, BUT I am not a welder but I am teaching myself while I wait but still would prefer limited rust, Obviously ino these beautys do rust badly so I do expect the usual floor pannels needing replaced etc etc.

UK based is a huge bonus as I am setting a strict budget snd dont want to pay import cost. Obviously prefer a RHD but lhd are acceptable to as there is so many good welders out there to do the conversion.

I want to set myself to around the £3000-£5000 mark for the car cheaper is always better.

So if you have a 240z project that you havnt had the time for or know of anywhere that has please let me know.

Regards
Jordan
(Newcastle)

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
There was a completely rotten 240Z LHD on Facebook that had split in half for 4500. It didn’t sell so he broke it for parts.

You might find a pretty rotten LHD rolling shell for 5k. A rotten RHD car will be 9-10k.

If you’re not looking for a major project then keep your eyes out for a 260Z or 280Z, but honestly for that budget you’ll be taking on something that needs plenty of structural work.

Dan

uk66fastback

Club Member
Is cheaper always better? Like anything, you get what you pay for. The prices for these have gone north pretty quickly even since I bought mine three years ago. RHD rustbuckets make the money - I remember one going for £9-£10k on Ebay as Dan says 18 months or so ago, and it was as rotten as a peach!

Does it have to be a 240z? Mind you saying that, the others models aren't far behind in terms of cost.

If importing doesn't worry you - yes, there are import costs but LHD will be less expensive (I am not using the word cheaper!) there are cars both on the continent and the US. There are club members on the forum in the US who can help you out and send cars across to this side of The Pond.

Last edited:

richiep

Club Member
At this point, 3-5k will get you very little, even LHD. 5-7 maybe, but be expecting lots of work and LHD only. And a 240Z will be much less likely than a 260Z or 280Z in that bracket. I think you need to give this some more consideration, get a feel for the pricing and vehicles available, and up your initial budget if you’re serious about getting into a Z resto.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Ha Ha !
Thanks for the thought Jason but you can't buy champagne cars with beer money ;)

Seriously Jordan, you are not going to buy anything worth having even at the top end of your budget of £ 5k, the amount of rust and welding you will be buying into at that price level will make it cheap to buy but very expensive to make good/own.
Always buy a classic on value, not on lowest price, they aren't the same thing.

With an S30 Z that means get the most rust free shell you can find. A little rust in the floorpan and dog leg area is acceptable and a relatively easy/cheap fix but once you get into chassis leg, bulkhead and wing repairs etc it is a totally different ball game.

RHD you can forget as even the most rusty of projects, which will cost at least £10k will then cost you many more £10s of thousands to get right.
So you are looking at LHD and here the 280Z offers most value with 260Z a little more and 240Z top of the tree.
If you are lucky you may pick up a car needing paint, interior and minimal rust for around the 8k mark, save up a bit more and buy wisely.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Example in the states:

LHD 1972 240Z automatic transmission... has not been on the road for many years but engine runs off gas can....
replaced rotten front wings and bonnet....firewall forward is solid....
passenger floors are toast, slam panel is toast as is the metal under slam panel and needs some dog leg repairs.
Spare tire well is good, rockers pretty solid may need a patch or two. Needs a complete tear down, metal work, full interior, engine tear down, manual transmission conversion, body and paint.

The good: NO SUNROOF and California title which most inexpensive cars will not have making export to the UK nearly impossible.

To get it to you in the UK: (£3800)
$3500 for the car
$1500 for shipping and import duties????

Plus lots of money and time to restore.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I can never decide if these sort of posts are genuine or just click bait.

Sac lovely crack free dash on that car.

johnymd

Club Member
I have a couple of rolling shells. Both rust free. These are project and one a major project. Bothe LHD and have arches cut for over fenders. Cheap one is around your lower budget and the other is just above your upper budget. I could post picture but you really need to come and see them. They are both very fairly priced and if your not too far away then it may be worth you comping over just to see what you can get for your money.

johnymd

Club Member
Just seen where you are so piping over is probably not a good idea unless you can get a cheap flight to Southend or Stan stead airport. I could pick you up from either.

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Just incase there is any confusion the budget i said was just to get the the preject I realise a resto is going to cost 30k -40k maybe more

And as always you always end up spending more then your budget in all thing.

This isnt a click bait/troll

Jordan 240z

Forum User
Johny could you put a couple pics of each plz if the patching is bad im inevitably going to have to get a professional touching the body up anyway or could you message me with the orices of both ?

Jay.

Club Member
Just incase there is any confusion the budget i said was just to get the the preject I realise a resto is going to cost 30k -40k maybe more

And as always you always end up spending more then your budget in all thing.

This isnt a click bait/troll

The members here are all experienced, and they're just trying to help. Buying anything within a 5k budget will just be a waste of time and money... Save a bit more and get one of the rusty-ish ones coming in from the states if you really want something ASAP

If you're prepared to shell out £30-40k on a restoration, your first step would be spending the initial money more wisely.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If you have a budget of £30-40k you shouldn't need to do a restoration.

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think maybe it's a rough figure to spend on a resto 'over the period of time when the car is restored' - not having that money sat aside waiting to spend on one. Only someone who loved spending ages cutting out rusty metal and actually doing the resto itself would put themselves through something like that!