WRC

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I was hoping Elfyn Evans was going to win the Rally World Championship last weekend but it went wrong for him. Sadly whilst in a championship leading position and supposedly keeping out of trouble he slid off the road on snow.

Sebastian Ogier won the rally and the title for the 7th time in 8 years. Over the last 17 years a Frenchman has won it 16 times (Sebastion Loeb being the other driver).

It must be so hard to drive safely but fast enough to get enough points! He finished the championship in 2nd after returning on the 3rd day and getting some bonus points from the 'power stage'.

peter_s

Club Member
Evans is a great talent!

Strangely enough, I don't mind the title being so dominated in rally. I feel it's got so much more to do with the driver in rally than in F1. I feel it's just well deserved!

In F1 the balance gets twisted straight away. Nr 1 team gets even more money... and onwards it goes until everything is totally unbalanced.

Rally feels more grass roots still, even though WRC is far from that.

AD240Z

Club Member
I’ve really lost track of WRC - think it was during Loeb s dominant period , and I must get back into it.

My Dad was a big motor club man and spent many a weekend with him in the North East forests .

The only event I attended this year was race retro and the Russell Brookes display brought a tear to my eye

911BBA3B-060D-48E9-B65F-DED37CB1B1CA.jpeg

Bazzateer

Club Member
If I'd had an extra £5k I would have an HS Chevette in the garage instead of the Z. An all time favourite of mine, for me it was Penti in the Chevette that was proper rallying.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well as I said before, I was lucky to be around in that great era. Saw Penti win the Manx in a Chevette and Pond win the Manx in a TR7.

When I did some of the Motoring News road rallies Russell was the man to beat. Still hard to believe these took place on open public roads!

North East forests: spectated in Hamsterly on a cold wet night and even Kielder BEFORE the reservoir. Blimey I'm old!

Roger Clark was my hero and I now only live a few miles from his house - but sadly he's no longer with us. I have seen him drinking in the Nags Head Stapleton. He liked his beer - too much.

toopy

Club Member
If I'd had an extra £5k I would have an HS Chevette in the garage instead of the Z. An all time favourite of mine, for me it was Penti in the Chevette that was proper rallying.
My first two cars were Chevettes, my mates used to call them shuvits! always wanted an HS, still do, its one of those cars I've never seen on the road, only at shows.

Bazzateer

Club Member
My first two cars were Chevettes, my mates used to call them shuvits! always wanted an HS, still do, its one of those cars I've never seen on the road, only at shows.
Yep, my first was a Chevette, and my mates also called it a Shove it!

Bazzateer

Club Member
My Dad always had Fords until his mate set up a Colt dealership, then it was Sigmas and Galants.
Only ones I've had are a Galaxy people carrier (3 kids) which was a good car and a Fiesta Ghia which was a piece of crap and sold weeks after I got it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Supercool choice

I just don’t get, or ever have got fords. To me they’re like rovers!

Fords were hugely successful as competition cars and still are in historic events.

Rovers were for the older man.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
maxresdefault.jpg When you say you don't 'get it' do you mean why people follow them?

I can understand you in some way - the only Ford I've owned was a Ford Anglia (105E 1968). That was my wife's grandfather's car, he bought it new.

I've actually never gone looking for a Ford, they don't seem to be a 'quality' car to me or anything 'special'. Very basic design, but the rally ones and racing Capris were lovely.

download.jpg