Wolfrace slot mags

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

I recently won a bid for a set of 5 slot mags on e-bay that were advertised as Wolfrace 6J x14" 114.3 PCD.

When they arrived, there were 3 wheels stamped up with Wolfrace and the size but 2 other wheels that had nothing on them and looked different. I reckon they are replicas and not original Wolfrace but I don't know enough about these wheels to tell the difference conclusively. Is there anything that should be on the wheels that I am missing or can someone tell from looking at the attached photos?

Although I paid by PayPal and the advert said about the ebay Money Back Guarantee, the seller is insisting they are all genuine Wolfrace and is refusing a refund. The irritating thing is that there isn't a set of 4 that I could use. The guy is getting really ar*ey so I am going to pursue a refund through ebay cos they are not the advertised size anyway but I just want to know if there is a way of telling the genuine article.

Attachments

• 20160815_102033.jpg
    20160815_102033.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 93
  • Replica - no marking.jpg
    Replica - no marking.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 77
  • Wolfrace marking.jpg
    Wolfrace marking.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 68

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
I can't quite remember if Cobra supa slots had markings on them or not but the slots where deffo a different shape like the one in your pic. There where other brands of slot mags as well but my brain is very rusty now, maybe that is due to being in contact with so many Datsuns over the years.

Mr.G

Club Member
I would pursue a refund too. They differ from one another and therefore not a set and not worth spending more money to refurbish them.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
i have one 6x14 wolfrace114.3 with tyre wolfrace were the only wheels not to shatter was there cliam

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Talking wolfrace I have a set for sale been meening to list them on eBay.

Pm me if anyone is interested

e73c3504a197260b786d41c98c708314_zpsj3o7k9lq.jpg

f403baab82592d786ea8348f5f38d01c_zpsr58xioh1.jpg

Farmer42

Club Member
Thanks guys. Having done some further research, it looks like they are either Cobras or American Racing slots. The seller said that they came off a Scimitar GTE and it seems that the alternative wheel to Wolfrace was a Cobra Supa Slot or American Racing, mostly Cobra. The one thing that they are definitely not are Wolfrace so his advert and his further insistance is definitely wrong. Hopefully e-bay & paypal will see this and refund but I will see tomorrow when I am able to escalate it.

Red Baron, might be interested in your 1 wheel if it all goes **ts-up with e-bay and you are looking to sell.

I will post up how it goes.

Cheers

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
If it doesn't go as planned I may be interested in 1 of the Cobras you have as I think mine are Cobras and would like a matching spare wheel

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
One can usually tell from the rear too - some have a flat surface (which goes against the Z hub) some have 'rings' (with a recessed centre) and some of those surfaces are nowhere near the same diameter.

johnymd

Club Member
The wolfrace wheels look different to the 2 sets that came on the US cars. Apart from the fact that mine were still shinny and had no corrosion, they do not have the ridge just outside the wheel nuts. I'll get a picture of the ones on the blue car before it goes on Thursday. IMO they look a lot betted without the ridge and a deeper looking dish.

or click the link in my signature and look at the blue car.

RichZ

Club Member
I have a set of Cobras on mine and can confirm they do have markings like the Wolfrace ones.

Jhepb1

Well-Known Forum User
Very early Woolfies didn't have the info stamped on the outside surface. This came later when regulations changed, requiring the details you see on some of your wheels. So, you may well have another make but they may just be very old. I remember back in the day we'd buy a set of wheels and have the stamping machined off to give the wheels a cleaner look.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The wolfrace wheels look different to the 2 sets that came on the US cars. Apart from the fact that mine were still shinny and had no corrosion, they do not have the ridge just outside the wheel nuts. I'll get a picture of the ones on the blue car before it goes on Thursday. IMO they look a lot betted without the ridge and a deeper looking dish.

or click the link in my signature and look at the blue car.

US cars were never fitted with Wolf Race slot alloys ;)

All cars came from Nissan with hub caps, dealers spotted an opportunity for extra margin by supplying after-market fit alloys and most came with US branded slot mags from Appliance Industries and although they look similar, they aren't actually the Wolf Race brand which is/was a UK/European company.

Farmer42

Club Member
Showed them to a mate of mine an instantly he said "oh, those are Shelby slots from the States. There should be a marking on the inner rim."

He turned them over rubbed off some of the crud and Sure enough it said Shelby USA. most of the size info had been rubbed away but we could just about make out 4x14 x7J. Amazed me that he knew what they were from a first glance.

E-bay have agreed to a return & refund and they are telling the seller to forward a return label so hopefully a result:thumbs:. I will only be happy when the money is back in my bank though.

Certainly learnt a few lessons about buying on e-bay from this one. Don't rely on photos & descriptions, ask loads of questions before shelling out your hard-earned!! My inexperience caught me out here.