Wiring nightmare please help asap

mjf7552

Forum User
Hi guys , iv spent the day trying to sort out the wiring mess on my uk spec 260 ... Im really hoping someone can help ... The wiring seems to have been messed with quite abit in the past so it makes things even more difficult ... Im pretty sure something is earthing ..

Ok here goes , when the front lights are on one of the headlights is dull (bulb is fine) Like its not getting enough power (but some)

The turn signals will not work when the lights are on and the headlight sidelight flashes aswell as the rear stop and tail lights ... They also do this when the hazards are on ...

Ive been switching them around all day trying various different things . The only thing that does seem a little strange is that the earth for the sidelights seem to be shared with the indactor turn signal earth !!!

Sorry if your now as confused as i am :)

mjf7552

Forum User
There one coming out tommorrow afternoon if i cant trace the problem in the morning ... Thnx for that though mate :)

Mr.F

Inactive
Lighting on a Z is not always where you think - main lights are earthed at the switch, so concentrate your efforts there and make sure all is well at that end.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Lighting on a Z is not always where you think - main lights are earthed at the switch, so concentrate your efforts there and make sure all is well at that end.

Yes I found this out the hardway. Until you understand that the headlights work this way you can get very confused. So the lights are 'live' and come on when an earth is switched to them.

mjf7552

Forum User
So what am i looking for on the switch ??? Why am i experiencing problems with turn signals & headlight when there both seperate switches ??

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Also check the fuses, the left and right headlights use separate fuses and if one blows then one headlight goes dim.