Windscreen Rubber

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Hi All,

Has anybody had any bad experiences with windscreen rubbers?

When I purchased my car (260z 2+2) it came fitted with a windscreen and new rubber, recently installed after some bodywork and paint but it was cracked in the top corner. Today I had some guys fit a new windscreen but it's really not a good fit and daylight can be seen through the edges. The installation guys tried their best but ended up saying that the likely cause for a poor fit is that the rubber isn't good enough.

My biggest concern is that the frame may not be true because of the restoration work done but anyway thought I would check with this forum to see if anybody else has had similar challenges?

Phil

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I've had x2 screens fitted in the last couple of years both have had new rubbers supplied by MSA in the states with out any fitting issues.
My windscreen guy strings them in with the trims installed then runs the sealer gun around

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Fairlineguy.

So tonight I remove the screen a did a little testing. First of all I installed the seal without any glass and as you can see it's not a great fit. It seems to sit okay on the inside but then seems a bit small to span the edges of the windscreen reveal, please attached photo.

I then laid the screen is the reveal to see how it sat and discovered that the bottom edge followed the contour on the body and then the center of the screen touched the lip in the middle of the roof line, but the two top corners were standing proud by about 20mm. Of course the glass doesn't sit that far inside the window reveal when installed as the rubber holds it about 10mm away from the body, so I tried to imitate this by using some packers and the screen started to look a bit more comfortable with about 10mm all the way around, with the exception of the top central edge which was still touching the lip coming from the roof. Again please see attached images.

I was wondering if anybody else had ever tried the glass in the reveal without the rubber and how did it sit?

Phil

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Yes it's a new screen but I'm confident that it's correct as it's the same profile as the one that came out.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Only a thought as a few years back I had a new screen fitted to my Honda s800.The guys couldn't get it to fit .
It turned out to be 10mm wider than than the original
Here is a photo of how my new screen ( supplied by Ricky evens)
Sits in a new rubber
5dc935a44a13c975fe8af0a5f670e358.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk