Windows - help!

Makesy

Club Member
I've been trying to put my windows back in for what feels like forever.

I can't get the wheels into the runners without one slipping, and ultimately everything just gets stuck in the various metalwork gaps, causes me a headache and then I give up.

I first put in the front runner loosely.

Then I feed the window assembly in and try and mate it up with the "fixed" arm.

Then I try and feed in the swivel arm to the top runner, but it all goes to pot.

Any and all advice appreciated please. I'm truly fed up and know I must be doing something wrong.

arcdef

Club Member
I went through this as well, I found that the window mechanism needs to be approx half way up.

Other than that it takes a few tries to get right and remember it being very frustrating.

Paul_S

Club Member
I did both windows on my own but there was a lot of swearing involved. The second one was a lot quicker to do than the first.

I'm struggling to think of anything particularly helpful to offer but I do remember laying the window and runners on the floor first to plan it. I also put my mechanism about half way up, then lowered the window into the door (sliding the metalwork through the larger width gap at the back of the door top). I think I aimed the front of the window into the runners first.

I found a magnet-mounted light really helped me see what was going on inside the door.

Makesy

Club Member
So I got them both fitted tonight!

Excluding the last ~2 months of messing around, one door took me about an hour, the other about 30 mins.

I followed Paul's advice above and laid everything out to decide the best approach

My method:

**Wear decent gloves! you're going to get covered in grease and no doubt trap your fingers if you dont!**

Clean everything up and apply grease to all the runners
Use tarpaulin eyelets, sanded down to fit to replace any worn or missing spacers for the runner wheels
Lay out the window and winder on the ground to determine fitting position
Wind the winder down to ~ half way and slide it into the door, resting on the bottom until later
Feed in the front runner, bolting one bolt loosly into position
Lower the window into the cavity (with the chrome trim/frame removed) into the front runner.
***At this point an assistant helps but I did find wedging some pieces of wood or a spanner/screwdriver helped keep the window from dropping. This is done via the gaps in the metalwork, resting them onthe other side on the door brace (not perfect, and do watch out for anything dropping suddenly causing injury!)***
Whilst the window is held/supported, feed the wheels into the runners on the window. I found that fitting the wheel on the arm that can pivot first helped, followed by the one that isn't able to pivot.
Feed the smaller runner into the door and onto the remaining wheel, then fit into position (this one goes into the "back" of the door.
Wind the winder up until the bolt holes line up, then tighten up.
Manouver the window such that there's a gap at the back of the window, then tighten the bolts for the front runner
Wind the window 3/4 the way down
Feed the chrome frame in and bolt up (I found bolting in the bolts to the rear before winding the door fully up helped give some support for fitting the front of the frame.
Test fit and adjust the by moving up and down and adjusting the runner bolts as required

Hope this helps someone!

53f6632aa0fdea82c8b6a5192a5959d3.jpg

4c5fe0d8d7fee67e9f52534e5ef93375.jpg

Paul_S

Club Member
Top job! Great write up too.

Reading that back some of it sounds familiar - sorry I didn't remember it to give you guidance at the time. It will be very useful for people in the future.

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
I’ll have to save this page, after taking the entire car to bits, this is probably one of the jobs I’m dealing with reassembly [emoji23]