Window regulator issue

Geoff-R

Club Member
Just sorting the mechanisms out before putting them back in my doors and there is an issue with my window regulators. The gear appears 'jammed' in each of them, these are the gears that attach to the actual winder handles. The mechanisms have been wound so far that the teeth from the scissor mechanism are not engaged with the gear. When trying to re-engage them it's clear that some kind of spring or retainer has come out of the gear causing it to not turn. My question is, is it possible to re-attach this, has anyone done it? Or is this wishful thinking and my window regulators are knackered and I need to source some replacements? Any help much appreciated, if pictures better explain this I'll get some.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The mechanisms have been wound so far that the teeth from the scissor mechanism are not engaged with the gear. When trying to re-engage them it's clear that some kind of spring or retainer has come out of the gear causing it to not turn. My question is, is it possible to re-attach this, has anyone done it?

I've had the same (my own fault, when giving them a thorough clean and re-grease) and they are usually not broken. It's hard to explain, but you need to push against the spring when re-engaging the gears. Once they are over the first bit of engagement they should wind properly again.

Make sure you are not 180 degrees out though!

arcdef

Club Member
You can re-attach them but be careful not to bend the arms. I accidently bent my arms then had lots of alignment issues!

Geoff-R

Club Member
I've had the same (my own fault, when giving them a thorough clean and re-grease) and they are usually not broken. It's hard to explain, but you need to push against the spring when re-engaging the gears. Once they are over the first bit of engagement they should wind properly again.

Make sure you are not 180 degrees out though!

Great to know it's not a lost cause getting them back to a working state before re-fitting. I bet I am 180 degrees out on them though, I'm assuming this will cause instant tension when trying to re-engage the gear. In fairness once I cleaned the dried out grease out I could see the gear looked to be in good condition, no broken teeth etc. I'll give it a go tonight and report back.