Window Frame channel Rubber/Felt

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Is this still available or does any one know of a decent universal supplier?

Thanks.

Wes

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I'd also like to know, I need some rubber for the insides of the frames too. What's in there has disintegrated.

Mr.F

Inactive
In theory still available to order - I obtained some for a customer fairly recently.
Call to order / discuss...

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Vintage Supplies do it by the metre - a perfect fit & replicates the original item.

Do you know which one is the right one? I see they do a 6mm and a 4.5mm glass size. I'm guessing 4.5mm, but the base and height seem too small to fit the frame.

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I bought the one that was about £ 2.35 a meter. Fits 4 and 6mm glass. I've fitted it and am really pleased.

Pm me you're address and I'll send you a small bit if you want.

Wes

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the offer but I need to buy lots :)

Have you got a link to the one you bought?

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I bought the one that was about £ 2.35 a meter. Fits 4 and 6mm glass. I've fitted it and am really pleased.

Pm me you're address and I'll send you a small bit if you want.

Wes
I've just bought some of this but not very happy with it. It's for 4mm & 6mm glass and the glass on a 240Z is only 3mm. This results in quite a bit of "slop" and subsequent wind noise, curing this was the whole point of the exercise in the first place. Also it does not seem quite high enough and sits too low down in the channel. Mike, I see you might still be able to get the genuine article, could you check availabilty & price please?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I solved the problem by cutting one edge off the rubber so it was L shaped instead of U shaped, then put the L shaped length in first with the U shaped length in after. It all fits really snug and stays in perfectly, and you can't tell unless you wind the windows down and look really closely.

The real thing would look a bit better but if you're as cheap as I am then this works pretty good

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I solved the problem by cutting one edge off the rubber so it was L shaped instead of U shaped, then put the L shaped length in first with the U shaped length in after. It all fits really snug and stays in perfectly, and you can't tell unless you wind the windows down and look really closely.

The real thing would look a bit better but if you're as cheap as I am then this works pretty good
Might have a go at that, got plenty left over, then if that doesn't work order the genuine stuff from Mike. It's only wind noise I know but this gets tiring on a long motorway run

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User

Which way round did you put the L shaped section?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I can't really remember, I think I put the L shaped bit so it sits against the frame nearest the inside of the car, I'll have a look tomorrow.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I had a look and I was wrong; I put the L shaped piece against the outside of the frame, so it essentially pushes the U shaped piece further towards the window and the inside of the car. I tried taking a picture but my phone doesn't like low light. You can just about make out that the U shaped piece sits slightly further out on one side than the other.

Attachments

• IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 28

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I had a look and I was wrong; I put the L shaped piece against the outside of the frame, so it essentially pushes the U shaped piece further towards the window and the inside of the car. I tried taking a picture but my phone doesn't like low light. You can just about make out that the U shaped piece sits slightly further out on one side than the other.
Many thanks, thats a job for tomorrow then

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User

You're a genius Morbias, works really well, thanks for the info