Wideband sensor

zedhed

Club Member
Guys, anyone using one with a gauge, and what's recommended?
Any installation tips or pics?
Engine bogging down, so want to see what's going on and learn more...

Saw this which looks viable..

Cheers, Nick

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Should do the trick. I've got one of these -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//221780825686
It's also got the better 4.9 LSU and It's 52mm too.
52mm fits nicely inside a spare Z gauge if you can be bothered -
IMG_0784.JPG

Hardest part was welding the bung in to the exhaust, but that's because I'm rubbish at welding.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It should come with instructions, and I can't remember exactly what they said, but I ended up positioning it on the top of the exhaust (so water doesn't collect in the sensor) about 100 cm back of the bulkhead next to the gearbox.

zedhed

Club Member
Righto, thanks guys, will need to weld stainless then. The radio was removed be previous owner, so thinking there's a convenient spot for gauges right there. I need to know where to pick up the 12v supply for this thing. I imagine there's a wire for the radio though seeing it was there once, but which one I have no idea... Nick

PS: I'm completely clueless when it comes to wiring, so excuse my stupid Q's.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I recall mine has a couple of +ve 12v supply lines - 1 ignition switched and one un-switched - i.e. one to turn it on when you turn the car on, and another permanently live so it can control the heating/cooling of the sensor (I imagine...). But you'll have to check your instructions to be sure.

When I fitted mine, I installed some secondary, relay switch fuse banks (triggered from acc and ign on the original fuse box) for it - but a splice from the radio feed and a fused live feed would have worked too.

monza

Well-Known Forum User
Just adding my 2p into this....moons ago I read that the lambda sensor should be mounted no further than 42inches ( or something like that ) from the exit of the engine block, and there was a minimum distance to. This is to ensure the sensor gets plenty of exhaust gas to sniff rather than the chance of any ambient air ( oxygen ) in the exhaust, causing a false lean reading.

cheers
Ash