Why do S30 doglegs rust?

PeterAllen

Well-Known Forum User
Whilst restoring my S30 I noticed the doglegs had twice been replaced, meaning three sets rusted through all up. I don't want to know how I should prepare/treat the fourth set but rather if someone has a theory on what causes this particularly serious issue with the S30s?

johnymd

Club Member
This is a well documented issue and there is a specific reason why but I cant seam to find the info at the moment so I'll try from memory. The inner arch to dogleg seam is just popwelded together and not a sealed joint. Water is then forced into this joint and into the void by the rotation of the tyre through water on the road.

When you replace the dogleg make sure you seal the seams very well.

Paul_S

Club Member
This is a well documented issue and there is a specific reason why but I cant seam to find the info at the moment so I'll try from memory. The inner arch to dogleg seam is just popwelded together and not a sealed joint. Water is then forced into this joint and into the void by the rotation of the tyre through water on the road.

When you replace the dogleg make sure you seal the seams very well.
Ah, good answer.

I'm going to get mine sorted and wonder if anyone has any experience of the ones on eBay here Vs the slightly taller ones from the US such as these:

s-l1600.jpg

Vs
235316b3b9f97439a9966c81b3775517_600x.jpg

Matt Berry

Club Member
I used that one from eBay, worked perfectly no problems at all

Attachments

• A4DF185C-7323-4DBF-933D-CAE6B0737021.jpeg
    A4DF185C-7323-4DBF-933D-CAE6B0737021.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 6F8B0ADE-C56A-4623-A13A-C70E13AD214C.jpeg
    6F8B0ADE-C56A-4623-A13A-C70E13AD214C.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 43
  • F978059D-8D9C-4D95-BB72-7E9FAD123C4B.jpeg
    F978059D-8D9C-4D95-BB72-7E9FAD123C4B.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 42

Paul_S

Club Member
Ah, thanks for that :)

I was just wondering if the smaller one might not allow you to cut enough old metal out.

Pondo

Club Member
Paul, I’m also after a dog leg. I can’t comment on how good the panels are but Andy the guy who makes them can turnaround stuff in around a week it seems. His dog legs are £45 and if you want one quickly get one this week as he told me he’s away in Feb.

Can give you his number if you would like it. Just to reiterate I have no connection with this guy other than asking for myself.

Paul_S

Club Member
Paul, I’m also after a dog leg. I can’t comment on how good the panels are but Andy the guy who makes them can turnaround stuff in around a week it seems. His dog legs are £45 and if you want one quickly get one this week as he told me he’s away in Feb.

Can give you his number if you would like it. Just to reiterate I have no connection with this guy other than asking for myself.
Thanks for the thought mate!

I actually ordered a pair of the eBay ones earlier today (£99 delivered). I had a message from the Andy last night and went for it. He didn't mention a delivery date to be honest (I didn't ask either). Hopefully they'll be shipped before he goes away...