Who will be the first to Electrify a Z

Farmer42

Club Member
I agree with the middle part of the Ferrari article in that the sound of the engine is one of the reasons to have one irrespective of how fast or eco it is. To remove it does remove it's soul. The sound of my L-series through a stainless exhaust when I open it up is one of the main pleasures of owning a S30. I wouldn't mind an electric motor if that sound could be reproduced somehow.

richiep

Club Member
I can't see the widespread electrification of classic cars other than as a consequence of fuel ceasing to be available or aggressively anti legislation - which isn't going to happen any time soon. Beyond that, the eco-footprint of the typical classic car is pretty minimal simply because they are rarely used as daily drivers and do relatively insignificant mileages each year. They are actually pretty environmentally sound in that respect, especially as they are cherished and maintained long-term and thus not being scrapped, with all the environmental effects that entails - unlike most modern "white goods" cars.

Plus, on an emotional level, ripping the heart out of a Z like that just feels wrong. I'd be happy with a Tesla Model S personally (my sister-in-law in the US has a Chevy Volt, which is fun to drive) - but I still want my Zs to roar.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldn't mind an electric motor if that sound could be reproduced somehow.

Nissan did that with the 370Z - tuned the exhaust for the note so why not....it would be a lot safer at pedestrian crossings !

But I remember a Dutch one back in the '90s - nothing is 'new' !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I can't see the widespread electrification of classic cars other than as a consequence of fuel ceasing to be available or aggressively anti legislation - which isn't going to happen any time soon. Beyond that, the eco-footprint of the typical classic car is pretty minimal simply because they are rarely used as daily drivers and do relatively insignificant mileages each year. They are actually pretty environmentally sound in that respect, especially as they are cherished and maintained long-term and thus not being scrapped, with all the environmental effects that entails - unlike most modern "white goods" cars.

Plus, on an emotional level, ripping the heart out of a Z like that just feels wrong.

Agreed with you Rob - true recycling is reusing (or continuing to use ?) products in their orginal form and therefore not requiring more energy, carbon footprint etc to part-recycle them.

Your last statement might apply to all swaps then............

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
There's a few threads over on hybridz.org with people swapping in electric goo.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The electric car will make the classic car the modern horse: slow, smelly and annoyingly slow to drive past; and most importantly a rare luxury item! There is still hay / straw and farriers about but less of them and more expensive.

As for electrifying horses - well the parallels stop there. But sure a few people will electrify their cars as a novelty or money is no issue. But a classic car isn’t the same without the sound, the smell of oil and fuel when you get in or the way you wear one like a tailored suit when you drive as opposed to operating the controls of a modern Audi /Tesla and feeling detached from the sensory feast of sounds, smells, feel, vibrations and skills to keep the car on the boil.

How often do you get out of a Z with your head slightly light from the fumes, your ears ringing from the sounds and your head tired from “driving” the beast and think God that was a terrible drive? Or do you go to bed with that tired head, close your eyes and relive the sounds and feel of what just came to pass? Now doth my pen halt! Or shall I say my thumbs stop on my cracked iPhone screen! Maybe I should use parchment, a quill and ink well to savour the feel and the smell ... :p

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hopefully petrol cars will have right of way over electric cars, like horses have over petrol cars today.