Who said Automatics were not for Track Days?

Zedactive

Forum User
Did Silverstone in mine last Sat. Awesome day - once I changed from the nutters group to the more genteel!!

The Zed was an unknown quantity to me in terms of tractibility and overall performance - so this was justa fact finding mission.

We had the Gold Track day which was 2 groups on every 30 mins.

Weather was chilly but dry and bright.

My car is standard except for 330mm brakes just fitted - and boy was that a good call or what. The original brakes would not have stopped me and would have melted. These new bad boys drag that car down from 115mph to 40mph in no time. Never once did they feel like fading.

The Zed passed far more cars then passed it. It made mincemeat of every Morgan and most Lotii. A few dedicated track day cars waltzed pass (if I let them) but that was OK.

My HiCas is disconnected which I'm glad of as I think it would have been too slow to respond to the bends.

Grip on standard road tyres was superb. I only used D2 and Drive - I tried HOLD and Power - but couldn't see what each one did tbh.

Seemed to drink a drop of fuel.............. but since I put the new oxy sensors on all hydrocarbon dust on the rear end has ceased. I think the blow out on Sat did it good.

Here's some pics for yer. Not a cheap day - but it's worth going for the more expensive day as it tends to rule out the chavs in Corsas, Cavaliers and 309 Pugs - just a safer bet that's all. Apologies to owners of said cars but I've been avoiding them far too much in the past.

GP1_9079_DCE.jpg

GR1_0942_DCE.jpg

GR1_1006_DCE.jpg

GR1_1302_DCE.jpg

GR1_1382_DCE.jpg

GR1_1519_DCE.jpg

GR1_1905_DCE.jpg

GR1_1489_DCE.jpg

M

madmarco

Good to see a 300 driven in anger!
Love the front plate, bet that gets people's attention when your filling their mirrors!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looks like you were having fun.

What circuit were you using at Silverstone?

Auto, mmmmmm interesting, control must be difficult (engine braking, throttle response etc).

Also noticed your car and the Type R have virtually no tyre wall height but quite a bit of body roll. I wonder how that compares with less roll and more 'compliance' in the tyres.

As stated earlier good to see a 300zx 'mixing it' great stuff.

Zedactive

Forum User
Looks like you were having fun.

What circuit were you using at Silverstone?

Auto, mmmmmm interesting, control must be difficult (engine braking, throttle response etc).

Also noticed your car and the Type R have virtually no tyre wall height but quite a bit of body roll. I wonder how that compares with less roll and more 'compliance' in the tyres.

As stated earlier good to see a 300zx 'mixing it' great stuff.

National Circuit - too short really. Yes the low profiles don't squash do they? having said that the cars seem fairly well planted under driving hard. I suppose that's what you get with a road car, albeit a 'supercar' in it's day.

Tougher springs would stop the roll but then I'll not be uprating - it was just a test.

Zjunkie

New Forum User
Go auto! Hallo from S. Florida Z Car Club. sfzcc.com

I've got a sweet NA/AT that I cherish. I uploaded pix with the steering wheel on the wrong side. =]

mgh297

Well-Known Forum User
Good work! :thumbs:

I had a lot of fun tracking mine at Donnington last year, although it has a manual gearbox I really struggled on the stock brakes.

Got myself some big Brembos on for this year. Can't wait...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1891TRAK68-0211.jpg
    1891TRAK68-0211.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 1891TRAK68-2288.jpg
    1891TRAK68-2288.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 40

Zedactive

Forum User
Good work! :thumbs:

I had a lot of fun tracking mine at Donnington last year, although it has a manual gearbox I really struggled on the stock brakes.

Got myself some big Brembos on for this year. Can't wait...

I wouldn't have gone if my bigbrakes weren't fitted the night before - they were just too scary.

With the 330mm and standard pots but with Jaguar DS2500 pads - the car was so stoppable.

Big brakes? A no brainer.

Donners - my fave circuit on bike and car.

Last edited by a moderator: