Who has a tape measure available?

haboo

Forum User
Hi all, I am pulling my hair out :confused: at the moment and would ask any kind member who has a tape measure handy. Could you PLEASE give me the measurement from between the rear suspension strut towers, from the centre where the shock pokes through into the rear wheel housing, this is held in with 3 nuts. From n/s to o/s.

I have down loaded 2 different chassis dimension PDF's, one from an early 240z and one from a later 260z. and the measurement I have is much smaller :eek: than either of these.

hope that makes sense.

Cheers for any help. :thumbs:

johnymd

Club Member
Just to clarify, why do you need this measurement? Are you trying to straighten your shell out and need to know how far to pull the strutt towers apart to do this? Or are you just makeing a strutt brace and need the dimmensions for it. If its the later then I would make it to fit your car and not someone elses. How much narrorer is yours from the factory speck?

haboo

Forum User
I am in the middle of a full resto and now have the body shell on a jig. So before I start cutting out floors and sills ect, I thought I would use the chassis pdf to check all the measurements, the front, back to the bulk head is perfect according to these dimensions. The seat supports and tunnel is correct. The points from almost every part match up to these dimension diagrams.

Except the strut tower tops.? The measurement is smaller, yet everything is level, all measurement were made with plum lines and lasers.

I am baffled.

If you take a laser line from front to the back, down the exact middle of the car, all measurements are exactly half, this includes the strut towers, also all diagonal measurements are as per the pdf diagram are correct.

Oh! It’s a 260z 2 seater, plated as a T 1979 and the chassis No: RS30021111

I am just wondering why everything else is correct yet these measurements are wrong.

baffled Ian

johnymd

Club Member
Sounds like the car is straight so maybe its just the drawing you have thats wrong.
How far out is it?

haboo

Forum User
According to the pdf diagram for an rs30 measurements, the measurement for the 260z should be 836.4mm,

Mine is showing 825mm, so 11.4mm smaller gap.

BUT if you take the measurement from the bottom bolt (the 3 bolts that pert rude around the strut top hole, holds the strut camber plate?)

This measurement is 759mm but according to the diagram it should be 780mm, which is a difference of 21mm.

All other measurements are exact ally right or within in 1 or 2 mm. So why is this so different.

Maybe your right and I am worrying over nothing. Fit a strut brace and forget.

Thanks for the replies. I am now going back into the garage and continue my labour of love.

ian :confused::bow:

johnymd

Club Member
As its even both sides, I wouldnt worry about it. Are you planning on suspension mods or lowering the car? I have fitted camber plates all round so I can set the camber I want and lower the car. The more you lower the car, the more the camber increases. I wanted the ability to reduce the camber which is the reason for the rear camber plates and adjustable rear arms.

Dale

Club Member
The strut towers are taller on the later 260s to that of the 240s and early 260s so they are probably closer together too.

Mr.F

Inactive
The strut towers are taller on the later 260s to that of the 240s and early 260s so they are probably closer together too.

I would agree - most of the published data is for the '73/'74 260Z which is essentially the same as the 240Z dimensionally. The rear strut configuration was only seen in '77/'78 2 seater 260Zs over here and the diagrams never seemed to have been universally updated.
BTW, the diagram I have shows strut centre measurement to be 853mm...

slaphead

Club Member
The rear strut configuration was only seen in '77/'78 2 seater 260Zs over here and the diagrams never seemed to have been universally updated.
BTW, the diagram I have shows strut centre measurement to be 853mm...

Just measured my 78 260z and 77 2+2 - they were 830mm and 820mm respectively, across strut centers (center of strut holes) - not sure if that adds to the confusion or not?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i have a measurement of 745 mm from the the two nearest strut top bolts for a late 260z