White RHD 260z £27k

Robotsan

Club Member
Just noticed this car appear on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/datsun-2...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Is the car known to the club?

Pretty terrible advert, and car is not to my taste styling wise (purple lights, the rear end seems to have some carbon fibre thing stuck on it, and that front air dam), but if good evidence of the restoration and rust repair can be provided this seems like quite a good value car right? Wouldn't cost a lot to turn it back to stock look right, with some of those stainless bumpers from Vietnam and a more traditional air dam?

Obviously, we don't know what else could be lurking underneath, or what condition the engine is in. But presuming that's all ok..

Last edited:

Geoff-R

Club Member
How can you powder coat the underneath of a car? Is that possible? Does he mean the suspension components?

Also would love to know why the battery has been relocated to the boot, has the tray rotted away? I'm assuming it's housed in the toolbox?

Robotsan

Club Member
How can you powder coat the underneath of a car? Is that possible? Does he mean the suspension components?

Also would love to know why the battery has been relocated to the boot, has the tray rotted away? I'm assuming it's housed in the toolbox?

I'm assuming it's the suspension yeah. Which is quite promising I suppose. I don't want to crap on the guys ad too much, he could just be lazy with writing but a very dedicated car owner :)

Yeah I was wondering about the battery. Are there any other reasons to move the battery to the back? Just a cleaner engine bay? It does strike me as a kind of street style car, so that kind of thing would make sense.

I could ask the owner but I don't want to waste his time seeing as I'm not in a position to buy! Just wondered if anyone knew the car or owner?

Geoff-R

Club Member
I agree, not everyone is a car salesman. On the face of it a sparse advert is a little off putting but you're right he could be a dedicated owner.

No engine bay pics of a little off-putting though. Especially as it has Webers, surely a selling point in its own right?

Robotsan

Club Member
The owner is a member here.

Ha, well I've saved him some time in putting up an ad here then :) And goes to show why we should give people the benefit of the doubt and not judge too harshly by the ad - as I'm sure it's a well looked after car if he's a club member.

Maybe he'll pop up here to give us nosey sods some more info on the car. Definitely looks like a RHD I would be interested in if I was able to buy already.

Robotsan

Club Member
Looks like we're going over old ground here. Found this thread from March: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/260z.28114/#post-324435

Seems like it got a mixed response back then too.

And a previous eBay listing where the car was more expensive, but also shows a beautiful looking engine! And doesn't have the carbon fibre on the back, so I wonder if this is the same owner? Some photos of it being repainted too, so presuming it had any rust properly attended to at the same time, this looks like a good car at a decent price to my admittedly novice eyes. I wonder what it looked like before the restoration though, being a UK car.

*Edit* same eBay username so I guess it is the same owner.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

I was considering moving the battery on mine to the storage space behind the passenger seat with a small lithium battery. Why? Well because:

A. I’d like an isolator on the battery inside the car so that I don’t have to keep popping the bonnet (yes I know I can do that with it in the engine bay and some long cables).

B. The club airbox is awfully tight next to it and a pain to take off/manoeuvre

C. Better weight distribution

D. Lighter battery therefore less weight.

E. Cleaner engine bay

Powder coating is very likely suspension components.

She does have cup holders though! Bonus!

Pondo

Club Member
Ali I felt the same as (A) I was always popping the bonnet to isolate the battery. Fairline guy fitted me a remote isolator which is fantastic……I’m also rubbish for leaving my lights on so this kills everything as I’m walking away with the touch of a button.

Roy Selby

Club Member
The Z in question belonged to me in the 1980's, after recently tracking it down I tried to buy it back from the current owner, but he was half way through the restoration. The car was originally metallic blue and black by the time I got it. Brings back many memories, was a great car

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ali I felt the same as (A) I was always popping the bonnet to isolate the battery. Fairline guy fitted me a remote isolator which is fantastic……I’m also rubbish for leaving my lights on so this kills everything as I’m walking away with the touch of a button.
Where is your isolator positioned? Glove box? I’m seriously thinking about doing this over the winter.

arcdef

Club Member
Where is your isolator positioned? Glove box? I’m seriously thinking about doing this over the winter.
I cut a metal plate to fit the gap in the seat rail frame which I mounted an isolator to. My battery is behind the passenger seat so was easy to wire in.