While the head is off...

Dale

Club Member
After the car was running a bit poorly I discovered that there is a little oil weeping from the head gasket. The car has also been blowing a little blue smoke from the exhaust if it has been sat idling so I assume the valve stem seals have also gone.

I am going to have the gasket and seals replaced but should I have any other work done while the head is off?

What would I be stupid not to do, what would be recommended, and what would be nice to do?

Does the timing chain need replacing?
Would having the head skimmed would be worthwhile to get back some lost horsies?

Oh, it's an L28 with an N42 head.

Cheerz

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are you taking the head off?

If so wait until it's off before making decisions (don't drop the timing chain into the bottom of the front cover!).

Dale

Club Member
No, I'm not doing it Rob. I toyed with the idea as it's something I should learn to do but I don't want to be 'learning by my mistakes' on the Zed! ;)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
As Rob says, see what you've got when the heads off, but assume gasket, seals. Check guides, rockers, cam, lashpads.
Timing chain needs the timing cover off and ideally engine out and sump off

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
A few years back I discovered a weep of water coming from the side of the head gasket. I ended up rebuilding the entire Engine. One of the most satisfying things I have evere done.

Mr.F

Inactive
Check for warp and correct if necessary. General de-carb. Re-seat valves and fit new stem seals.

Dale

Club Member
Thanks chaps. Does the chain need replacing? I have no idea how many miles is on the engine.

Mr.F

Inactive
You can assess wear in the links once unhooked from the cam sprocket.
At the risk of sounding patronising - make sure you have (or have made) the chain support tool before you unhook anything...