Which Engine????

zeeman1972

Well-Known Forum User
Quite honestly there are stacks of posibilities.What do you want the car to be? track car, strip car, road racer, daily driver or a compromise of some/all of these?

And the ultimate question how much do you want to spend?:D

JAYZEDDER

Forum User
zeeman1972 said:
Quite honestly there are stacks of posibilities.What do you want the car to be? track car, strip car, road racer, daily driver or a compromise of some/all of these?

And the ultimate question how much do you want to spend?:D
Ive got 10,000 to spend, I want it to be V quick!;)

300zxmarcus

Well-Known Forum User
Whats about a VG30DETT here they go into Z32's quite easy lol
The 200SX engine is also an option as its lighter and easier to tune the the 300zx engine.
Then you got your V8's Nissan have one and then obviously the american V8's are a possibility.

friday

Well-Known Forum User
JAYZEDDER said:
Ive got 10,000 to spend, I want it to be V quick!;)
Sorry to be a pedant but you need to define what you mean by "V quick" and be clear as to what you want from your car :)

Is it going to be used on the street as a "daily driver" or weekend car? Or do you want it for track days? Taking it down the quarter mile? All of the above?? ;) Are you looking for something that is "quick" off the mark with a smooth, linear power delivery or something that is "quick" in regards to top speed? Speaking as someone in the middle of putting a 4.5 litre V8 into a Z32, I knew exactly what I wanted from my car and I think you need to ask yourself the same questions before spending what is, after all, a considerable wedge of moula! ;)

gav sbc

Well-Known Forum User
I supose i am biased but if you want brute power all over the rev range its got to be a V8 and with that kind of cash input it would be silly quick, but a whole load of fun no matter what kind of track you take it on:cool:

Wyn

Club Member
Given a chance again it would be a 2.0 YB Cosworth

Change the record I know, but I still like the idea :santa:

G

GlenZ

SBC, for economy in every sense, power in every sense, sophistication in every sense and an exhaust note to die for, every self respecting fairlady should have one................

Phantom

Active Forum User
You can get an entire front clip off a Japanese salvage 300ZXTT. A stage one upgrade on that engine will put you to about 325 wheel HP and 340 torque and still be docile on the street with air condtioning, etc. Additional 'stages' can get you up to 700 HP. With the Z32 I would really consider that the best way to go as the car was essentially designed for it.

Wyn

Club Member
Phantom said:
You can get an entire front clip
What does a front "clip" in your land mean? :confused:

Is that the engine n box or half a car?

We no use over here, at least I’ve never been asked for a clip :unsure:

Unless it’s a clip around the ear by granma lol :D

Wyn

Club Member
Phantom said:
A stage one upgrade on that engine will put you to about 325 wheel HP and 340 torque
325 wheel?
So 375 atleast at the crank?
Tis a lot from a stg1 3.0l :confused:
What power are they as std?

gav sbc

Well-Known Forum User
The Z32 motor is a great engine but if you look at the cost of buying a motor with the box and all the bits n bobs coolers wire loom exaust rad ect, then the fitting and frustration when you cant start it because somone else removed the motor and forgot some of the wiring loom or one of the sensors. compare this to about £3500 for a 400hp SBC complete with gearbox and quite an easy install:)

gav sbc

Well-Known Forum User
Phantom said:
You can get an entire front clip off a Japanese salvage 300ZXTT. A stage one upgrade on that engine will put you to about 325 wheel HP and 340 torque and still be docile on the street with air condtioning, etc. Additional 'stages' can get you up to 700 HP. With the Z32 I would really consider that the best way to go as the car was essentially designed for it.
Im not saying its not possible to get 700 hp out of the Z32 motor, But i havent seen one yet. what i have seen is at the local drag strip skylines owners saying they have 680 hp +150hp of Nos and then getting wasted (over 2 seconds slower) by a SBC powered Z32 with about 500 hp without nos or turbos. I dont think peak power is important but the way you deliver it and then put it down to the road is what makes a car quick !

Phantom

Active Forum User
The best time I ran in a quarter mile was against a 300ZXTT. He was putting down about 340 rwhp to my 311 rwhp. My LS1 powered 280Z had about a 300 lb weight advantage on him so I ended up beating him by about .2 12.9 to his 13.1. He was coming on very strong at the end - slow getting his turbo's spooled up - and would have taken me in another 100' or so. The advantage a V8 has is the very broad & flat torque curve where a turbo tneds to ramp similar to a HP curve.
That being said - when it comes to a Z32 - I'd still opt for the twin turbo route rather than the V8. A front clip (entire front end) off a turbo car is a pretty straight forward modification.
Any way you go, however, if you're looking for major HP it will be move of a challenge in the Z32 than the older S30 body style because of the engine bay space and weight differences.

VGlover94'

New Forum User
I recommend an RB28Z2, If You can find one and want to go all out.
Endless amounts of modification options.

If you can find a VG30 block send it to importpartspro.com and get a Stage 4 Long Block.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
V8 all aluminium smallblock chevy, the 300 body is heavy enough to cope with a supercharger or twin turbo setup - BIG power

andy

Well-Known Forum User
VG30DETT although it depends how much power you want. Stock engine will set you back about £600 (don't worry about buying with turbos because they will end up as door stops ;) ). Forged internals will set you back about £700 for the rods and pistons. A full rebuild kit including the forged internals is available from the states for ~£1100. Turbos, anything up to £2k really. Add a set of decent intercoolers ~£600. Bigger injectors ~£500. Clutch to handle the power ~£350. Exhaust manifolds ~£600. Decat system ~£300. Obviously a few other bits and pieces but they are the major ones. Plus it will bolt straight in :)