Where is the best place to buy a clutch kit?

Farmer42

Club Member
I'm glad I saw this post because I was going to ask a similar question about clutches.

My Clutch is starting to judder and I am starting to get an occasional crunch when putting it into first gear but all the links listed refer to L24 engines or bigger. I have an L20 engine and the only listing I can find for that is from a Nissan Laurel. Would these be the same clutch kits or would a kit for an L24 fit? Otherwise does anyone know where I would get a kit for a 2.0L Fairlady Z 2+2?

Cheers

Paul

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Gearbox crunch is the synchro going (or gone) not the clutch.
I would have guessed that the flywwheel is the same for the L20 as the L24 ie 225mm.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Point taken. Try slipping it into second beforehand then first - if it still snicks - it's the clutch then ?

Farmer42

Club Member
Having thought about this for a bit, it's more of a grind than a crunch - a bit like you are trying to put it into gear without using the clutch. It's only occasional though so I am thinking it may be release bearing or slave cylinder. The judder is defo clutch plate so that will need replacing. If I buy the kit with a new bearing & it still grinds then I will think about the slave or possibly master.

As far as clutch kits go, I have no idea what size flywheel is on the L20 or L24 so I bow to judgment that it could be 225mm.:bow: If this is the same as a Laurel then these seem to be widely available.

Will have to start saving the pennies!!

Cheers

Paul

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I would buy a slave and master cylinder together as one often goes after the other new part is fitted. They're also cheaper than a clutch and to fit so try that first if you go down that route. Of course, you could buy and fit it all in one and sleep easier.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
I would buy a slave and master cylinder together as one often goes after the other new part is fitted. They're also cheaper than a clutch and to fit so try that first if you go down that route. Of course, you could buy and fit it all in one and sleep easier.

Now after a clutch slave and master kit. zstore in the US have them in stock but are not coming back with a international shipping quote. MJP are more expensive but out of stock for at least a week so it's irrelevant.

Anyone happen to have any for sale or want to point me in the direction of a good US supplier for parts as I will be replacing a lot over time.

Cheers,

Joe.