Where is all the weight?

faytmorgan

Forum User
Ok the orginal 240z weighs in at 2355lbs (for you brits. (1068 kg) )

the 280zx weighs in at 2825 lb (1281.4 kg)

they bothe have v6s

where is all the weight coming from on the 280? u am thinking about buying one. taking the body off the chassis and taking a 90 yota pickup frame (4x4) and dropping the body on that with a 3vfe motor and twin turboing it. and i would like to keep it light. my goal is to stay in at the 2800 mark at least. (i like v6s not L6s they are too long. not so good for handling. i would like to try and join in the ultimate street car challenge with this car- is the ultimate goal (no pun intended).

morgan-

Russ

Club Member
They both have straight 6s :)

The cars are of monocoque construction, therefor you cannot take the body off the chassis :)

Think both of these points have just ruined what you were planning, however you could do a 280zx shell that sat on a different chassis, much like some of the drag 280s... However the 280zxs, without different engines or chassis or whatever were very competitive! Nothing wrong with them as a base without changing everything around.

Interested to see whatever you plan to do though :) Sounds like an interesting project

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
The extra weight is from Rust ! :D & from the extra components of luxury, injection,power steering, bigger engine & other 80's market develop-
ments. I think the early 280z which was a follow on to the 260 would be
a good choice to go with. DJZ 60.:cool:

faytmorgan

Forum User
Russ said:
They both have straight 6s :)

The cars are of monocoque construction, therefor you cannot take the body off the chassis :)

Think both of these points have just ruined what you were planning, however you could do a 280zx shell that sat on a different chassis, much like some of the drag 280s... However the 280zxs, without different engines or chassis or whatever were very competitive! Nothing wrong with them as a base without changing everything around.

Interested to see whatever you plan to do though :) Sounds like an interesting project

like where would i find one on another chassis?

faytmorgan

Forum User
that is what i figured - i did not quite get yoru answer. nothing is wrong with the chassis. how wide is the tranny tunnel then- is there room for a transfer case? or am i going to have to cut?

Russ

Club Member
Is a transfer case for four wheel drive?? In which case what plans did you have??? :)