Wheels are a wheel pain...

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
I am awful at working this stuff out, so I'd really appreciate some help.

Has anyone ever fit 9J wheels on their standard datsun S30? Would i be able to lower it a tad if i did? Would i need to stretch the tyre to fit it in the arches?

i'm a visual kinda person and would love to see some photos.

I'm thinking 15/16" rim, probably 16?

(195/45/15, 9J - would this work?)

apologies for being terrible.

Many thanks,

Guy

Sean287

Well-Known Forum User
What are you trying to achieve? Aesthetics or terrible handling or both? 195 is not good on a 9J wheel. Why would you want to stretch tyres on a classic car, are you planning on going drifting?

What offset wheels are you intending on fitting? How are you lowering the car and by how much? Are you planning on rolling you arches? Do you have a modified front valance?

These are the questions you will get back from the forum in order to give you an informed opinion.

Try here:

http://zclub.net/forum/s30-240z-260z-280z-wheels-tyres/22418-15x9-et-0-will-fit-240z.html

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Just aesthetics really.

Since that first post I have actually gone off the stretched tyres, but i definitely would like to know the widest possible wheels i could fit on the car. It just looks like it is on stilts at the moment.

Only planning on lowering it like 30 / 50mm (max) or something, not putting it on the ground.

Ideally i don't fancy extending the arches, but i know a guy who can roll them for me.

Sean287

Well-Known Forum User
Thank god for that! You've got two choices for lowering:

1. Fit lowering springs (Eibach or Tokico) and change the shocks.
2. Fit height adjustable coil over setup (a lot more money).

Option two will give you much more clearance on the suspension perches to the inside of the wheel. Option one is good if you want to drop an 1" however you need to watch the clearance on the inside as well as the outside arch.

Ideally you want a wheel with a +0 offset as this what the stock wheel was. I run 16x8 +10 with 225/55/16 rubber. My car has adjustable coilovers so I don't have an issue with the suspension perches. My arches have also been rolled.

If you want to be safe then run a 7J with a +0 offset and a 205 tyre as this tends not to create clearance issues on stock suspension.

If you want to go down the spring and shock option, I have a set of Eibach progressive lowering springs and Tokico blue cartridges for sale.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It looks like his car is already lowered a fair bit, fitting lowering springs might actually raise the car from where it is already.

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
Top man, Sean. Thank you so much for your help.

8J wouldn't fit then? (with rolled arches)

I'd love to get the car on like semi-slicks and wide wheels, just for aesthetics really - i realise that this will be a pain with no power steering!

any chance you have any photos of your z with those wheels?

many thanks,
Guy

Sean287

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guy,

See picture of my car. These are 16x8 +10. 225/55/16 Yokohama Neova AD08 Semi Slicks.

8J's will fit with the correct wheel offset and tyre size.

Lets start with what your current suspension set up is (stock or modified)? Have you got standard brakes front and rear? Do you have a modified front valance?

By the way 225's on and 8J with no power steering is not a problem, just a bit heavy when parking.

Attachments

• 240z.jpg
    240z.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by a moderator:

JK240

Club Member
Like this Guy :D

bluezo.jpg

Nice photo Sean :thumbs:

datsfun

Club Member
8J wouldn't fit then? (with rolled arches)

I'd love to get the car on like semi-slicks and wide wheels, just for aesthetics really - i realise that this will be a pain with no power steering!

It all depends on what you define by "fit"
Factors to consider
- wheel offset
- suspension set up ( factory Vs 2.25" coilovers)
- ride height desired (slammed, mildy low ?)
- camber settings (front and rear?)
- spring rating as this determines travel ( mega stiff means little travel hence no fouling arches)
- wheel arch profile ( standard or rolled or flared;))
- arch profile ( are yours 100% factory as many s30's over the years have been restored and arches are not as they left factory, most have wider lips now?)
- tyresize/ profile fitment required ( zero, mild, aggressive stretch or balloon style:smash:)

I would say that its relatively easy to accommodate a 8J wheel with zero offset and 205 tyres under a stock bodied s30.

Many folk will pipe in and say that for a 8J wheel, you need 225 rubber minimum...I think you need to define the look you are after :thumbs:

And FWIW, there is nothing wrong with mild stretch in my book. Otherwise we should all revert to 175SR14 radials on 5.5J wheels:lol:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Something else too - the front struts on a 260z I think have lower spring seats than a 240z, depending on wheel diameter and tyre size there is a chance you might foul the seat whereas the same rim/tyre combo might work fine on a 240z.

Sean287

Well-Known Forum User
Many folk will pipe in and say that for a 8J wheel, you need 225 rubber minimum...I think you need to define the look you are after :thumbs:

I think he did that already:

Since that first post I have actually gone off the stretched tyres, but i definitely would like to know the widest possible wheels i could fit on the car. It just looks like it is on stilts at the moment.

Only planning on lowering it like 30 / 50mm (max) or something, not putting it on the ground.

Ideally i don't fancy extending the arches, but i know a guy who can roll them for me.

and

I'd love to get the car on like semi-slicks and wide wheels, just for aesthetics really

datsfun

Club Member
I think he did that already:

and

I'd love to get the car on like semi-slicks and wide wheels,

Yes I can read that as well but it still seems that the OP isn't 100% sure of the look...big difference between 30 and 50mm lowering. Is rolling arches a definite YES? What about suspension mods?

Anyway we digress...anything can be made to fit:D

If you want to play it safe go, have a look at other cars within the club. If you like the look of one, ask the owner the specs and reproduce. Safest bet :)

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
-- Yes Dan!! exactly... but without the arches.

-- In answer to datsfun:

- wheel offset - don't know what i want? don't really know how to work it out either. (help)
- suspension set up ( factory Vs 2.25" coilovers) - i'd like to go down another 30mm, but i suppose i need to figure out what suspension i have at the moment, as it is definitely lowered already.
- ride height desired (slammed, mildy low ?) - mildly low, i still want to be able to drive it
- camber settings (front and rear?) - don't think i'll have any camber - if at all, it will be a TINY bit of negative.
- spring rating as this determines travel ( mega stiff means little travel hence no fouling arches) - Little travel i suppose, so fairly stiff. (makes it funnier to drive when the girlfriend is in it)
- wheel arch profile ( standard or rolled or flared) - rolled
- arch profile ( are yours 100% factory as many s30's over the years have been restored and arches are not as they left factory, most have wider lips now?) - don't know, how do i check this?
- tyresize/ profile fitment required ( zero, mild, aggressive stretch or balloon style - not balloon, i think that looks cool, but not a huge fan of it on my own car. Mild if not a TINY bit of stretch.

thanks for all the help guys.

-- such a smart car Sean. nice one!

-- Yes JK! I'm a fan but i wouldn't want it quite that low... not in England anyway, would destroy the car with all the pot holes and speed bumps!

thanks again,
G

bumblejon

Active Forum User
Im not sure if it helps entirely regarding the tyre stretch issues, but the attached images show ET0 15x8" Rota RKR's with 205/50 Yoko's Neova's.

Attachments

• RKR1.jpg
    RKR1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • RKR2.jpg
    RKR2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • RKR3.jpg
    RKR3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107

WillsZed

Club Member
Im not sure if it helps entirely regarding the tyre stretch issues, but the attached images show ET0 15x8" Rota RKR's with 205/50 Yoko's Neova's.

Been looking at these, have you got pics of them on the car? also im assuming your not running ZG arches?

Many thanks

Wills

bumblejon

Active Forum User
Hi Will,

Please see picture but as you can see its on standard arches and as yet only lowered 1", it has new coilovers and I am planning on getting handy with the c-spanners this weekend.

Attachments

• JP1.jpg
    JP1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124