Wheel bearings help

arcdef

Club Member
I would recommend using Rockauto for the bearing, they are much cheaper in terms of price and shipping and will get here quickly. I have only changed the fronts but I reused my seals as they were still fine. If doing yourself you can remove with a set of punches and refit with these easily , no need for a press.

Robotsan

Club Member
I would recommend using Rockauto for the bearing, they are much cheaper in terms of price and shipping and will get here quickly. I have only changed the fronts but I reused my seals as they were still fine. If doing yourself you can remove with a set of punches and refit with these easily , no need for a press.

Thank you! I checked Rockauto last week but clearly I was looking at the wrong section as I've found it now and you're right - very cheap!

Are the cheap end of the list ok? Seems an incredible range of prices! Also is it better to get all the same brand?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,1209226,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672

1673867062163.png

arcdef

Club Member
I used Timken which seemed to have the best reviews on quality however as Jon says unless they feel lose or "rough" there isnt a point changing for the sake of it!

Robotsan

Club Member
Thanks! Tbh I haven't driven it enough to know 😂 I was just advised by a fellow member on here who is hopefully helping me with the work, that it would be a good idea to change them while the suspension and hubs are all off.

My car has likely done 163k (judging by the interior wear not the odometer!) and obviously I don't know when the bearings were last changed, so I would feel happier knowing its all new on there.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
To be fair, you don't know the quality of the part until you take it out, we've heard members on here say they've had no grease inside the hubs before now.

I think at the very least, removing the seals to check there is plenty of grease, and free from debris?

I took mine apart and they were actually in good form. But, mine needed removal in order to refinish the hub assembly.

Give me a PM if you're struggling for the rear bearings and seals - I had to buy a 2nd set for a mistake on my part that never needed doing. Sometimes they're out of stock on rockauto 👍

Robotsan

Club Member
To be fair, you don't know the quality of the part until you take it out, we've heard members on here say they've had no grease inside the hubs before now.

I think at the very least, removing the seals to check there is plenty of grease, and free from debris?

I took mine apart and they were actually in good form. But, mine needed removal in order to refinish the hub assembly.

Give me a PM if you're struggling for the rear bearings and seals - I had to buy a 2nd set for a mistake on my part that never needed doing. Sometimes they're out of stock on rockauto 👍

Thanks Martin, I might well take you up on that. Which brand were they, if you can remember?

Yeah maybe we'll just look at the existing ones first when we take it all apart. The car will be in bits for weeks anyway as I'm getting everything powder coated, so that'll give me time to order bits from Rockauto if needed.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Thanks Martin, I might well take you up on that. Which brand were they, if you can remember?

Yeah maybe we'll just look at the existing ones first when we take it all apart. The car will be in bits for weeks anyway as I'm getting everything powder coated, so that'll give me time to order bits from Rockauto if needed.
I'll have a look tonight for you bud 👍

I've attached what mine looked like once they were out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_175834.jpg
    IMG_20220222_175834.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220222_171509.jpg
    IMG_20220222_171509.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220222_174328.jpg
    IMG_20220222_174328.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 13

richiep

Club Member
My thinking on replacing the bearings (it was me who suggested it) is that they are an unknown quantity in terms of age, wear, etc., and it would be a shame to go through the exercise of refreshing all the suspension and adding the BC coilovers etc., getting it all back together, and then having an old bearing start playing up soon after. Especially if that were to happen on the rear, as the rear hub assembly is much more of a PITA to deal with in terms of disassembly.

They are also relatively cheap and easy to get via Rockauto. The only reason to not do it as part of such an exercise is either prior knowledge of their condition/age, or economy. And the latter one could be a false one…

Robotsan

Club Member
My thinking on replacing the bearings (it was me who suggested it) is that they are an unknown quantity in terms of age, wear, etc., and it would be a shame to go through the exercise of refreshing all the suspension and adding the BC coilovers etc., getting it all back together, and then having an old bearing start playing up soon after. Especially if that were to happen on the rear, as the rear hub assembly is much more of a PITA to deal with in terms of disassembly.

They are also relatively cheap and easy to get via Rockauto. The only reason to not do it as part of such an exercise is either prior knowledge of their condition/age, or economy. And the latter one could be a false one…

Cheers Rich - I kept you anonymous in case it developed into one of those debates! 😂

I do agree really - I'd like to take it apart as few times as possible!