Wheel Availability 1970-71?

NickF

Well-Known Forum User
What wheels could you buy for an early Z?
Wolfrace started selling 1971 Minilight were making wheels in the 60's but for the Z?
I doubt if anyone thought about importing wheels, if they were available from the USA or Japan
So if you wanted wide wheels on a early car would they have been widened steel?
Any thoughts

Nick

Hummeluhr

Forum User
What wheels could you buy for an early Z?
Wolfrace started selling 1971 Minilight were making wheels in the 60's but for the Z?
I doubt if anyone thought about importing wheels, if they were available from the USA or Japan
So if you wanted wide wheels on a early car would they have been widened steel?
Any thoughts

Nick

Hi Nick !

See this adv. from US in 1971 -- the wheels mount on the 510 --- was for 510 and for Z !

Hummeluhr

Attachments

• $(KGrHqMOKicE3H5G(E5EBN0c3yL(o!~~_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqMOKicE3H5G(E5EBN0c3yL(o!~~_3.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 28

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
anything with a 4x114 pcd low offset and similar centre bore as there was other car makes who wheels would fit around that time

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't get the reference to an early car - are you specifically searching for period after-market wheels NOS ?

NickF

Well-Known Forum User
I don't get the reference to an early car - are you specifically searching for period after-market wheels NOS ?
No this just crossed my mind and I was thinking some widened steels may be more period correct than alloys
But I have never seen an early(any) z with wide steel wheels but from memory there were not a lot of alternatives in this period.
I know wide steel wheels were very popular on many cars and just wondering if anyone had seen them on the Z?
anything with a 4x114 pcd low offset and similar centre bore as there was other car makes who wheels would fit around that time
What other makes would have had "Mags"? in 70/71 that would have fitted

Nick

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
I guess back in the days everybody was just happy with the wheels he had and didnt even think about getting other wheels.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I know wide steel wheels were very popular on many cars and just wondering if anyone had seen them on the Z?

Nick,
Hello old horse! How are you?

Here's a couple of pics of 'period' wide steels on a 1970 Fairlady Z-L which belongs to a fellow Club S30 member, and which I photographed at one of the Sagamiko meetings.

The owner said that he'd had bought the wheels shortly after buying the car new. I believe they were 'Jaguar' brand wide steels, if I can trust my memory......

Attachments

• Sag-03-70ZL-1.jpg
    Sag-03-70ZL-1.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Sag-03-70ZL-2.jpg
    Sag-03-70ZL-2.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 35

Phil240z

Club Member
I Have these British made Wheels ,14x7 Ally Cats made by Two Gates wheels, I don't know how old they are, they fit perfectly, also some other sets which state "Made in England" from the Seventies, I will take some pics and post them up.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 33
M

madmarco

I guess back in the days everybody was just happy with the wheels he had and didnt even think about getting other wheels.

I can confirm that in the 70's no true petrol head was happy with stock wheels. For a California boy like me we went for Centerlines, Cragar, or American Racing. It was only later that the stock wheels became valued by people who wanted a 100% original example. Wolfrace has been making alloys in the UK since 1971.

Lots of good info here - Classic racing wheels

Last edited by a moderator:

jimyj

Club Member
Yep have to agree , as a bloke who bought his first z in 1982 a 6 year old 260 it was Wolfrace wheels on nearly all ones i remember going to see at that time .

NickF

Well-Known Forum User
Alan I'm well thank you, a bit warm today 40 degrees predicted !
Thanks for the pics
Sean I thought some wide steels would be a little different and in period 7.5 or 8 inch if they would fit and if I can get the tires ( can't be low profile) If I had owed a z in the early 70's the first things I would have done is fit a small leather steering wheel,lowered and fitted wide wheels. Cruised up to the Crown and Greyhound Dulwich or Tigers Head Chislehurst, happy days.
Marco thanks for the link some good stuff there, you can see where Wolfrace got their ideas from, should I presume that Wolfrace copied the Americans?
Thanks to all
Happy New Year

Nick

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Everyone was busy putting on after-market Alloy wheels not steel.

Chislehurst - one of my playgrounds and Dulwich traversed twice a day via the toll-road.