What is this relay?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Folks, this relay was on my blue 240 at the top of the passenger side kick panel just under the dash.

It wasn't connected and I want to simplify my wiring so can I ignore it and remove the associated wiring?

Part Numbers:

25230 8990S
MR2-061

Attachments

• 20180607_151825.jpg
    20180607_151825.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180608_122157.jpg
    20180608_122157.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180608_122204.jpg
    20180608_122204.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 36

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I have that relay and my car didn't come with intermittent wipe. However I also can't remember what it does.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Ok just been out in the garage and on my car its the main beam flasher relay.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
As I say interesting. My car would not have had intermittent wipers either when new in 1971 (but it has now). I also know that intermittent motors have an external relay mounted on the side.

So then I thought it was a relay to switch the wipers on when the washer is used.

However Mike I think you're right and mine has been disconnected due to a headlight wiring mod and relays.

If only I had a good reliable diagram.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I think there is only one way that is going to happen Rob and that's do your own.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I can't make out the numbers on the relay Rob, can you?

I have repaired / replaced some of the relays on that kick panel on 73 Model US cars. The electric fuel pumps have 2 relays related to when they are energized.

I have a few replacements if needed.

iXLVJud.jpg
[/IMG]

bluejon

Club Member
Not sure if these things flip location between LHD and RHD, but there is a relay in that location on my drivers side (which would be RHD passenger side), I read somewhere to be the horn relay

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure if these things flip location between LHD and RHD, but there is a relay in that location on my drivers side (which would be RHD passenger side), I read somewhere to be the horn relay

Think that might be the one with 3 green wires going to it.

toopy

Club Member
Looking at a wiring diagram i have,

Red wire with tracer is mainly for headlights (+ fog lamps and some gauges)
Blue wire with tracer is mainly for the wiper motor (+ radio and cigar lighter)
Green wire with tracer is mainly for Indicators (+ horn and relay, hazards and the rear lights)

1970-datsun-240z-wiring-diagram.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks Toopy, that's a clear diagram (with colours) but I've not found one yet that is 100% correct. I can't see this relay and where is the heater motor and switch?

MaximG seems to be correct so when I get back onto the wiring I'll connect it and check it's operation.

SacCyclone - thanks for the offer of relays hopefully I won't need one.