What happens with too much HP no grip!!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Here's a picture from HybridZ site over 400bhp, no grip on the rear, goodbye lamp post, OUCH!!

Attachments

• 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 107

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Frightening - hope there wasn't a passenger in it. I've seen a picture of a blue Z wrapped around a tree too.

I wonder how a modern car would have coped with that impact, better I would think?

ben240z

Club Member
tread does not give you grip in the dry
modern cars do not take on lamp posts or trees with any better results.
as ever operator error and total dohbagness are the reason for what you see here

Russ

Club Member
Nasty, forget how vulnerable we are in these really!

I wonder why we don't have deformable/collapsible lamp posts?

Wyn

Club Member
Now if it had been in the rear the bodywork would be undamaged ... esp with bumpers that big :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
tread does not give you grip in the dry
modern cars do not take on lamp posts or trees with any better results.
as ever operator error and total dohbagness are the reason for what you see here

wise words from someone who's seen worse and more frequently - take heed.

Bantambunny

Well-Known Forum User
*SHIVERS* - I hope my old boy handles a bit better than that with 400+ horses lighting up the back tyres!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
*SHIVERS* - I hope my old boy handles a bit better than that with 400+ horses lighting up the back tyres!

It's got nothing to do with handling - the guy is obviously a dick and has no respect for driving 400bhp car.

It's just a shame he lived to tell the tale - next time it might be someone else he puts into their coffin early.

Russ

Club Member
It's just a shame he lived to tell the tale - next time it might be someone else he puts into their coffin early.

I don't suppose you've ever made a mistake? humans err.

This guy may well have been driving like a dick and asking for it, but he may well have been unlucky, not had his brain quite in gear and got caught out. I don't think wishing him dead is quite right lol :unsure: :p

I hope if I ever cock up (and I have) I don't have threads all around the world hating me! If we were the green pc forum of total safety then I'd expect it, but we're petrol heads and things go wrong, a little sympathy might be nice from time to time.

Anyway I haven't read the thread where it came from, this example may very well have been asking for it in which case he is a dick, but you learn from your mistakes and hope your "learning" mistake isn't a big one, everyone deserves a second chance.

zeeman1972

Well-Known Forum User
I wonder how a modern car would have coped with that impact, better I would think?

No, no better, though it did probably save the drivers life from the tree he hit!

P5110008.jpg

And no the driver was not being an idiot, he was just driving to work on a familiar straight peice of road, overtaking a lady doing about 45mph in a 60 limit. However a slightly dewy road that had been badly repaired over a 12ft section met a car with a turbo that was spooling into its powerband. Result: a little sideways twitch into the roadside dirt which, because of the diff locking up, rapidly became more of a sideways plough, 40ft later say hello to Mr Tree at 55mph! Could this have been prevented by the driver, well very probably, however, for whatever reason he wasn't fast enough to react in the milliseconds he had to rectify the situation. On a track day I'm sure he would have done or perhaps if he was driving more spiritedly and been more focussed. However he was only driving to work for another boring day at the office.

Sh*t really does just happen!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I'm not sure I buy that one either.

A familiar "straight" peice of road - do cars really fall off straight bits of road and hit trees without the driver being at fault ?
60 limit or national speed limit applies ? That includes driving according to the conditions - so damp early morning..............perhaps 45mph was a more suitable speed.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh - particularly with the first example. I haven't read the HybridZ thread so maybe there is more to the story. But on this thread the implication was that this is what happens with too much power and no grip - no mention of the driver whatsoever.

Yes we've all made silly mistakes, but I made mine long before I started to drive high performance cars.

And, if I ever do crash my car, I'll be man enough to blame me - not some poxy bit of road, or my tyres etc etc....

zeeman1972

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, of course the driver was at fault and remains accountable, I did say he may have been able to recover the car in different circumstances suggesting preventability and therefore accountability. What I'm trying to explain above is that a number of factors can sometimes randomly coincide to turn what was a normal 'common' maneuver into something it wasn't yesterday or may never be again. Of course the driver should have been on top of these things but sometimes humans (well most of us anyway eh :p) can be prone to not being perfect 100% of the time. Is that a silly mistake or being human? Me I'll vote the later, but then I would do because I'm slightly biased!

I do find it hard to believe that you don't make silly mistakes now though; you must be the only human alive who doesn't!:bow: Have you considered a career in motorsports? With your ability never to make a mistake you should be top of your chosen field in no time:p

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Tee he he :) , sorry to sound like Mr Perfect.

I do make silly mistakes, but not to the point of crashing the vehicle to the extent of the two photos here. The two vehicles I have crashed were crashed through inexperience and too much speed - driver error, no excuses (but both "recoverable"). A good 16 years have passed since with nothing more than an odd scuff and scrape.

I'm just making the point that drivers cause accidents, not cars.

Anyway, I better shut up now before I start to tempt fate - :driving:

Mr Ex

Inactive
ALL accidents are caused by someone, either you or them.
If they are at fault & are coming towards you & you react quickly, the accident has been avoided.
If you are doing something silly make sure you know what you are doing.
Remember those two things & you'll stay out of trouble.