What does this mean?

oz-ting

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guy's I was checking out the drive train on the z the other day and while I had the car rear wheels up on props and the engine running at idle. I noticed that one wheel was spinning! It had a reasonable resistance when I treid to stop it. Now out of gear I was under the fundimental idea that the drive to the rear wheels was disengaged, is this not the case? I droped the cluch and the wheel stopped but thought this was strange and wondered if it were the sign of wear. Has anyone any pearls of wisdom?

Aus:conf2:

tel240z

Club Member
I think what u have experienced is the drag effect of the gear oil in the g/box, basically this means that the oil around the 1st motion shaft is dragging the other gears around just like a fluid coupling thus turning the popshaft, as for 1 wheel spinning this is just the normal action of a differential unit, try putting the car in gear engine off turn 1 wheel and the other shoul spin the other way without to much force

Russ

Club Member
Yep agree, surprised me the first time I jacked a car up and this happened I was like "Oh no it's in gear it's gonna drive through the back of my garage wall!!" lol.