Weeping head gasket

Mr.G

Club Member
My head gasket has started to weep, no oil present n the radiator but tell tale signs between th head and the block toward the last 2 cylinders. See pic:

Mr.G

Club Member
Car isn't overheating, all appears ok.

Is this going to get worse? Will retorquing the head make any difference?

10920d1348416650-weeping-head-gasket-gasket-jpg

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
George, I had this so took the head off and found no problem. Replaced gasket and hey a few months later it showed up again so I left it - no problems again.

Only water stains not oil on mine

tel240z

Club Member
George would you take the car to belgium thrash it round a track for 2and half hours then drive back, this is where you wil find your answer

Just an observation George but them rusty coloured stains down the side of your block indicates no anti-freeze, corrosion inhibiter, summer coolant, pump lubricater, call it what you like it needs to be in there dont use the red stuff as it may eat away at your brass heater matrix

what make of head gasket is on your engine

mine is a felpro very high compresssion and reved to 7500 often with no water oosing from the sides

Mr.G

Club Member
Rob, I've got both water and oil. I think the water started first and now if I put my finger on the join between the head and the block it is definately oily.

Tel, I do have the red stuff in her, it's the Millers Oils Alpine Antifreeze Extend - Red Longlife Antifreeze, I didnt know it could have an affect on brass. Best drain and put the blue stuff in then? It's not been in there long so probably worth draining and starting again if it's not compatible with Brass. I couldn't find any info on the Millers packaging warning me which is frustrating.

Gasket wise it's an OEM nissan one for my engine L28ET.

zbloke

Club Member
Try a re-torque of the head, if the leak persists then it'll really need more investigation

tel240z

Club Member
Oil as well eh you see the point at your 2nd arrow from left i THINK is your main oil gallery to the valve train, if so i suspect somthing isnt straight

Mr.G

Club Member
Ok chaps thanks.

I'm going to retorque and keep an eye on it. If it get's any worse then I will take the head off and replace the gasket.