Website Guides

Wyn

Club Member
It’s easy to add pictures to your thread and there's various ways of doing it, but this is one :D

As you reply or start new you see the familiar box appear

The 3rd box along with “IMG” (image) is the only one you are interested in to add pictures.

Pic1

sreen2.jpg

Now in pic 2 you can see this new box appear after you click "IMG"

pic 2

scren3.jpg

In that box you need to add the (URL) address of the picture you want to show
Assuming this pic is already on the net like the Z logo say ......

pic 3

logo1.jpg

......Then the easiest way to find the address (of the logo in this case) is to just right click the picture
Scroll down to properties and the (URL) address will be show there (as highlighted)

pic 4

screen4.jpg

All you need to do now is just copy and paste that address into the "IMG" box

scree5.jpg

Bingo an odd looking string of text should appear when you select ok

Like this--> [IMG ]http://www.zclub.net/forum/images/logo2.jpg[ /IMG]

Now reply and with any luck your pics will show

logo2.jpg

To add pics that aren’t on the net (your own say) you will need to upload them first but otherwise it’s just the same

Somewhere like www.photobucket.com is where you can upload to. That’s very good as it already has the “IMG” tags sorted for you, so you can just copy and paste straight from photobucket and the pics will show without all the fafing about

Sorted :D

Russ

Club Member
How to upload a video

Unfortunately PHP has limitations, and your video files are likely to exceed them. To get around this you need to do the following to upload anything but the smallest video to the gallery.

First off go to

ftp://zclub.net

You can do this in your web browser.

Internet Explorer
When you visit that page you will get a "Cannot access the folder" error. OK this and go to File->Login As.

Enter
Username: gallery@zclub.net
Password: gallery

And ok it. This should then let you into the folder. Take your video and copy and paste it into the folder. Your computer should now start to upload the video. Once this is complete head to

http://www.zclub.net/gallery/uploadphoto.php

straight away. On the upload page don't browse to your file as you normally would. Do everything as normal, but tick the box that says "Skip upload and process the files in your upload directory". Click upload and you should be able to continue as normal.

You can then chose a thumbnail image for the file to show people what the movie is about.

Russ

Club Member
Cookie problems (logging in and out)

From time to time people report problems with the site, either they can't stay logged in or cannot log out. Sometimes they have problems loading the chat room. Here's what might help.

If you have problems with logins
Please visit www.zclub.net/forum/mycookies.php, tick all the boxes and submit!

This will log you out, don't worry if there are still a couple options left once you submit, this is normal.

If you have problems loading chat or other strange page loading problems
Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Files and OK that.

Your computer will cache files as it browses the net, this stops it having to download the same thing over and over (for example the logo for this site). This removes ALL of the cached files, for other sites as well. This won't do any harm but it will mean the first time you visit a page might be a little slower than usual.

Russ

Club Member
To Resize an Image

There are many ways of doing this, this usually involves some image editing program (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, The Gimp etc). Here is the easiest way to do it.

For Windows XP (and maybe other versions) visit the Microsoft website and download

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Run that and install it.

Now when you find your .jpg image you can right click on it and go to 'Resize Pictures'

resize1.jpg

You can then chose the size to resave it as.

resize2.jpg

If you DON'T check the 'resize the original pictures' box then when you click OK the image will be saved seperately (probably called something like yourimagename (resized).jpg). The image will be saved in the same format (e.g. JPG) as your original image. The good thing is that the JPG compression is good and so your images will be smaller in size.

resize3.jpg

You can then use your new resized image. It's usually worth keeping the original image, because when you make the images smaller they lose detail. If you wanted to resize them bigger in the future then they might not look as good.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Russ. Only problem is the download only works with windows XP which I dont have. I'm on 98se. BTW what happened to my post. Seems to have disappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Club Member
Nigel, just tidying up the thread as it's meant to be reference only. I'll try to come up with a simple way to do it in OS other than xp :)

Big E

New Forum User
OK, I get how to add images to a forum post, but how about the personal avatar? I can't seem to locate where, and how big they should be.
Thanks.

Wyn

Club Member
Top left ...
User CP ....
Settings and options (below/ nr top left) ...
Edit avatar .....

Done :)

Wyn

Club Member
Oops, you wasn’t supposed to see that bit so …
You'll need to join ta find out all about it ...
baby.gif

av4.jpg

Big E

New Forum User
Oh, OK, thanks much.
I just joined the forum today, but I'll get my membership rolling here soon.
E

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Nigel Brook said:
Any luck Russ?

I see you still don't have an avatar. So I guess you never solved this.

Go here: http://picasa.google.com

Get Picassa, it will find all photos on your machine, or you can add them, resize them, crop them... and a million more things!

Works with XP and 2000.

If you have another operating system MAC/Win98/ME/Linux etc...

Just go here: http://www.imageeditor.net

This website will allow you to resize/save photos etc... all via your browser!

Chilli Red

Forum User
Where do I find the user cp link. Sorry if thats a stupid question. I have my avatar and know how to post it just can't find where?? Thanks

Chilli Red

Forum User
Thanks Martin :thumbs: I found it but although I have paid up for membership, waiting for verification so can't seem to change avatar yet. Will try tomorrow.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Thanks Martin :thumbs: I found it but although I have paid up for membership, waiting for verification so can't seem to change avatar yet. Will try tomorrow.

Hi Fella
Big thumbs to you for deciding to use paypal to become a fully paid up member of the club:bow:
what you will need to do is go to your user cp and enter your post code in there ( make sure to use upper case) only admins can see this so it is not in open view to everybody

This is used on the clubs membership data base to cross reference your details to enable Nidge, the membership secretary to update your access rights to the forum when he next comes on line

I hope you find lots of things to interest you here and welcome to the madhouse

Also maybe you could do a short introductory piece about your self to be included in the online mag which you will be able to access once your access has been ammended