Web development.. Classifieds section options

Classifieds options

• Unchanged. Seven day priority for subscribed members to view ads before they are open to everyone.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Only subscribed members can post classified adverts. Anyone can view.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Members can post ads for free, but website members must pay a fee for each ad. Anyone can view.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Classifieds section open to all. No limitations.

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
We would like to inform you all we are about to embark on major update to the web site and forum and would like to get some feed back of what the members would like to assist with this before we get to far into it

The first question regards the classified system

Do you want to continue with the subscribed members seven day benefit that allows all all users
to sell but with restricted first 7 day viewing?

Do you want to only allow only subscribed members to be allowed to sell as a few other clubs do?

Do you want to allow non subscribed users to advertise but are charged a nominal fee of £5 (or Less)per advert automatically set up using paypal before add appears I found a couple of clubs that do this?

Do you want to allow all and sundry to be allowed to advertise on the site for free even though you the subscribed members are paying for the facility?

The Poll has been posted in the open forum to also gauge what opinions website members have on this and as a reminder to any members who have returned to black because they have forgotten to renew their Subs

Obviously it will be the votes of only the Subscribed that will be counted when the votes are counted

Last edited by a moderator:

atomman

Club Member
Hello Steve

Just an idea but other forums I'm a member of have a limit of post's before you can post or view the classified section ?

I do think it is a good idea to let the paying members have a first look at the classifieds to

Regards

Gary

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
We want to get as many people viewing the club as poss (so attracting potential new members) but it's good to have a member benefit (to encourage potential members to join).
For me, I'd either have open house (to get as many visitors as poss) or let any non-subscriber post for a small fee - as long as that's easy to administer. If it isn't, let anyone who registers post ads - whether subscribed or not.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Steve

As I have said before, can we have the Classifieds as part of the Forum Board list and not hidden away behind a button?

Wyn

Club Member
Assuming it's Z related then I would now say open to all
Its hard enough finding Z parts as it is, so if someone has Z parts to sell then don't put them off.
Maybe then paid members could get an email when ever a new item is added as way of getting a look in first ?

Mrs HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
I think a small fee for placing an ad if you are not a paid up member is the very least people can be expected to do. Knowing ZClub, it will be more than reasonable.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Steve

Just an idea but other forums I'm a member of have a limit of post's before you can post or view the classified section ?

I second this. It will encourage people to be a more active part of the forums.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
I second this. It will encourage people to be a more active part of the forums.
And it will drive away some the very people we are trying to attract.
Those with Rare S30 parts for sale who are not at the moment members.

You are trying to force people to do something that they probably dont want to do. It wont work.
People will only be active on forums if they want to and the discussion sections need to be attractive to them.
Please also bear in mind that lots of S30 owners outside the "club scene" are never going to adopt an active internet roll as they are in the mature owners age group where internet chat is not in there culture.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
[QUOTE=Wyn;204403]Assuming it's Z related then I would now say open to all
Its hard enough finding Z parts as it is, so if someone has Z parts to sell then don't put them off.

Maybe then paid members could get an email when ever a new item is added as way of getting a look in first ?[/QUOTE]

Sadly Wyn most of our members dont seem to get this supply bit at all. They are locked in their protectionist, its our club, ways. Quite oblivious to the real world where S30 parts are disappearing faster than the Icebergs at the Poles.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Do you want to allow non subscribed users to advertise but are charged a nominal fee of £5 (or Less)per advert automatically set up using paypal before add appears I found a couple of clubs that do this?
A fiver... you are having a laff here surely.
So some retired ex S30 owner comes along cos he has found a little new part/trinket in a drawer that he wants to sell for £20/30 ish and you want to charge him a fiver???
Thats TWICE the commission he will pay on EBay to advertize to the whole world wide Ebay community rather than a couple of hundred people on here.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
And it will drive away some the very people we are trying to attract.
Those with Rare S30 parts for sale who are not at the moment members.

You are trying to force people to do something that they probably dont want to do. It wont work.
People will only be active on forums if they want to and the discussion sections need to be attractive to them.
Please also bear in mind that lots of S30 owners outside the "club scene" are never going to adopt an active internet roll as they are in the mature owners age group where internet chat is not in there culture.

You mean like Steve Burns, Arkwright, etc? (Sorry guys) Yeah, they never post. :rofl:

I do actually agree with you though, many are just not internet users period, so they're not likely to post their parts here anyway, is it really a consideration for this?

Sadly Wyn most of our members dont seem to get this supply bit at all. They are locked in their protectionist, its our club, ways. Quite oblivious to the real world where S30 parts are disappearing faster than the Icebergs at the Poles.

I heard the icebergs have stopped disappearing? Sorry, just current events stuff :D :devil:

A fiver... you are having a laff here surely.
So some retired ex S30 owner comes along cos he has found a little new part/trinket in a drawer that he wants to sell for £20/30 ish and you want to charge him a fiver???
Thats TWICE the commission he will pay on EBay to advertize to the whole world wide Ebay community rather than a couple of hundred people on here.

Again with the pensioner stuff, :smash: they're unlikely to come here to sell it anyway, as we've established, they don't like 'puters'. Then you mention ebay, so a pensioner won't post on a web forum, but will know exactly how to use ebay and what it'll cost then in commission? Really? :unsure:

Aside from any of this though unlike the rest of my post, not in jest, the older generation are actually far more likely to pay a membership fee and do it right in my previous experience, not like the younger lot who want to be able to use the website for free without contributing a thing. Ahhhhh the good ol'days, of meeting at a pub in our Capris......sorry, I fell into a pleasant dream there :driving:

Dale

Club Member

I don't think we can make a decision simpy to suit this one ex-owner who won't add any value to the club with regards contributing to the forum. Let him sell it on eBay. I doubt there are that many of our members (subscribed or not) that are actively 'looking' for parts. If they are anything like me, they will be tempted by something that is posted on here rather than surfing eBay, unless there is a particular part they need.

I don't disagree that a fiver for something that will sell for £20/£30 is too much but I did see the words 'or less' in brackets. ;)

What we ideally want is to encorouge website members to join up proper to help raise the money to cover the running costs of the website and to offer the members better value for their subscription. Add to that the feeling that paying the membership is indeed giving value over not paying.

Mrs HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
What we ideally want is to encorouge website members to join up proper to help raise the money to cover the running costs of the website and to offer the members better value for their subscription. Add to that the feeling that paying the membership is indeed giving value over not paying.

Bang on the money.

It's a case of even if it was £1. This is LESS then the usual £2 coin donation most would give to a charity randomly asking on the street or as entry to a kids disco. The fact is, that little money gets them something, a targetted audience.

Logging into paypal, paying the £1 to zclub is one step to making them familiar with the process.... if it then said, did you know, it's only £15 to become a full member for a year... I think I can guess what most will do!

Step into the mind of the seller whos already thought to come here, KNOW the owners are here, have already thought about placing an ad, and £1 is usually the bottom starting price to list an ebay ad.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
The £5 I mention was just a figure to try and explain the concept in slightly more detail and there was (or less) in there

Another point that amazed me a bit is that out of the votes from unsubscribed members so far one was for keeping the seven day subscribed viewing option

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Strange that unsubscribed members are voting?
last two sentences from the opening post explaining why
The Poll has been posted in the open forum to also gauge what opinions website members have on this and as a reminder to any members who have returned to black because they have forgotten to renew their Subs

Obviously it will be the votes of only the Subscribed that will be counted when the votes are counted

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
One reason I don't like a "minimum nr of posts" before you can post an advert, is all you will get is someone putting up a lot of inane posts ( eg Looks great - Bump - Ooooh that looks nice, etc, etc) in order to chalk up their quota.

If you do want some sort of Board participation prior to posting, then require that they do a decent Introduction post saying who they are and why they're here, but in general I'd rather that the Board was open and free to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.