waterproof car cover?

AdamY

Forum User
After advice on where to buy a good quality and fitting car cover for a 2+2 - in my case a 280

Really need to get my car undercover - but I need to build a shelter.... So with winter on the way ......

Thanks

toopy

Club Member
I bought a Halfords one, the large does fit a 2+2, had it about 5yrs tho so they may have changed since then, mine is a single layer woven plasticky material, works well enough when the car is outside and not in the garage.

status

Well-Known Forum User
There is a made to measure one,think it is by carcraft,I’ll have a look at mine later,got it for my 240z As didn’t have room for it in the garage due to the 260 Z,Jensen and mk1 lotus taking up the room,it’s a good bit of kit,not cheap though

johnymd

Club Member
I've used the Halfords ones and they do a pretty good job. I don't think they keep the car dry though as the car is wet underneath the cover when I remove it.

AdamY

Forum User
many thanks - will go with a Halfords for ease and cost - then to build a shelter.......

niroshann

Club Member
Got two 2+2 280zx's and the Halfords covers probably work better than others but still do let water in after some time. It has previously trapped moisture and ruined paint/ clearcoat. I assume that this might be a mixture of water trapped from rain water coming through and also from condensation that get under the cover getting trapped. I would look for another option to keep the car outdoors over winter.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
get yourself lots of pipe insulation and string it over the car body and under the car cover to keep the cover off the car enough to let the air circulate and let it breathe.
it will also minimise abrasion of the cover on the paint work in windy conditions.
if you dont make sure theres a gap between the cover and the paintwork, condensation builds up worse than if you dont have a cover on the car.