Warning Light

ChrisBlackzx

Forum User
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me what the 3rd warning light on the left side of the dash means please.Its located inbetween the door open and hanbrake light,
Reason being im losing power in lower revs and this light keeps coming on.
Any advice would be helpful as i have searched the web to try and find this answer
Cheers
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
It is the cat overheat light......

attachment.php

Worth checking the coilpack connectors to make sure all plugs are firing, as unburnt fuel from a misfiring one can get into the cats and cause them to overheat.... therefore rough running, lack of power etc. is also present.

Last edited by a moderator:

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
ChrisBlackzx said:
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me what the 3rd warning light on the left side of the dash means please.Its located inbetween the door open and hanbrake light,
Reason being im losing power in lower revs and this light keeps coming on.
Any advice would be helpful as i have searched the web to try and find this answer
Cheers
Chris

hi chris

imho i would remove the cats and the sensor and fit decat pipes, a good exhaust or mech will do the job for you, then no need to worry about cats over heating!!

alan

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Decatting the exhausts can lead to accelerated failure of the turbo seals on a TT model though!

keitht6064

Active Forum User
Yes but you can get flames thru the exhaust.......
Na owners will not get the same effect..... not to the same degree

Legrath

Well-Known Forum User
alanz said:
hi chris

imho i would remove the cats and the sensor and fit decat pipes, a good exhaust or mech will do the job for you, then no need to worry about cats over heating!!

alan

That will not cure his problems.

The Cat overheat light is coming on becuase 1 or more cylinders are not sparking and the unburnt fuel is then igniting in the Exhaust system.

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
Legrath said:
That will not cure his problems.

The Cat overheat light is coming on becuase 1 or more cylinders are not sparking and the unburnt fuel is then igniting in the Exhaust system.

MY OVERHEAT CAT LIGHT WAS COMING ON AND CUTTING POWER TO THE ENGINE.

REMOVED CATS AND WIRING, FITTED NEW PIPES AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SINCE.

HAD THEM DONE OVER 2 YEARS AGO.

MAYBE THE LIGHT IS A SIGNAL FOR A MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS.

Legrath

Well-Known Forum User
alanz said:
MY OVERHEAT CAT LIGHT WAS COMING ON AND CUTTING POWER TO THE ENGINE.

REMOVED CATS AND WIRING, FITTED NEW PIPES AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS SINCE.

HAD THEM DONE OVER 2 YEARS AGO.

MAYBE THE LIGHT IS A SIGNAL FOR A MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS.

The light signals that the cat is overheating becuase unburnt fuel is igniting in the exhaust system.

The sensor is connected to the light on the dashboard only, and can not cut power or have any affect on the car at all. It is a warning light only.

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
Legrath said:
The light signals that the cat is overheating becuase unburnt fuel is igniting in the exhaust system.

The sensor is connected to the light on the dashboard only, and can not cut power or have any affect on the car at all. It is a warning light only.

IT SEEMS ODD THAT THE LIGHT WAS COMING ON AND I HAD POWER LOSS AT THE SAME TIME. WHAT DO THINK WAS CUTTING POWER TO MY ZED?

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SENSOR CUTTING POWER TO STOP DAMAGE TO THE CAR/EXHAUST SYSTEM.

Legrath

Well-Known Forum User
alanz said:
IT SEEMS ODD THAT THE LIGHT WAS COMING ON AND I HAD POWER LOSS AT THE SAME TIME. WHAT DO THINK WAS CUTTING POWER TO MY ZED?

I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SENSOR CUTTING POWER TO STOP DAMAGE TO THE CAR/EXHAUST SYSTEM.

The reason for the light coming on was same reason for the power loss (rather than the sensor putting the car into any form of safety mode) - either severly overfuelling or missfiring spark not igniting the fuel.

If its an intermittent fault that has since cured itself then its likely to have been either the MAF/AFM that was wet at the time or you have a bad connection to either the PTU or the coilpacks.

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
Legrath said:
The reason for the light coming on was same reason for the power loss (rather than the sensor putting the car into any form of safety mode) - either severly overfuelling or missfiring spark not igniting the fuel.

If its an intermittent fault that has since cured itself then its likely to have been either the MAF/AFM that was wet at the time or you have a bad connection to either the PTU or the coilpacks.

YOU GOT IT BUDDY!!!!!

I REMEMBER NOW, I HAVE A HKS INDUCTION KIT AND THE FILTER WAS VERY OLD AND BREAKING UP, THUS STICKING TO THE MAF SENSOR AND CUTTING POWER.

CHANGED THE FILTER AND PROBLEM SOLVED!!

LEGRATH YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!:bow:

ALANZ

domtheboyo

Forum User
Hi, if my cat warning light CMS on when I booted it, could this be the same thing or would I see the warning light come on regularly if it was just a connection issue?