Warmer Cam for stock 240z

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
After my spirited drive across Belgium being chased by Woody, Chris and Johnny, I feel I need 'more' power EXTRA:D

I have already a decent flowing exhaust system to go on, and am also thinking some K&N free flowing air filters. Have also a new pair of SU carbs from Burlen with stock inspired SM needles (is that enough?) to replace the rather tired Hitachi carbs, (at least the stock flat top carbs are no longer!)

Taking inspiration from the 'Wheelers Dealers' episode, I am thinking a Stage 1 fast road cam, anything out there I could consider?

Already have Petronix electronic ignition.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Didn't think it would take long to look at 'mods' - Damn you Spa trip, some lovey examples there!! :drool:

richiep

Club Member
TBH, if you are feeling a need for more power based off trying to keep up with those guys, you'll need more than a wimpy little stage 1 cam! EXTRA:D Especially in Chris' case given he was packing a turbo! Did Johnny take the blue car or the silver one with ITBs? Either way, both have unfair advantages over you!

You could go with an uprated cam, but the important thing to consider is that without complementary headwork, some (most?) of the potential associated with that cam is being wasted as the head is still flowing as a stock unit. Performance cams should be viewed as part of a system from induction through to exhaust, with each aspect complementing the next. You note you already have a more free flowing exhaust to go on and new carbs. You want those flow improvements to be matched by what goes on between them!

It doesn't have to be a radical port job, just a nice gasket matching, smoothing, and chambers polished, valve unshrouding, etc. Get the fuel-air mixture in there nice and quick and the exhaust gases out the same! Something to consider as the head should come off for a properly executed cam swap anyway.

Bobafett

Well-Known Forum User
you'll need more than a wimpy little stage 1 cam! EXTRA:D

...thought that might be the case! :driving:

Thanks for the advice, head off for a proper job to match and flow the chambers make perfect sense. Though I do wonder if I am going through that expense, perhaps seek out a 2.6 engine that has had some work, perhaps?

Cheers for the reply :)

richiep

Club Member
It'd probably be harder to find a complete worked L26 than it would be to have a head prepped tbh. And if its a used engine, you never really know what you are getting. Also, I'd take an L28 over an L26 anyway if hunting more power is the target. More tune-ability, more cost-effectively.

Another option is to seek another E88 head and develop that so you can swap it on without taking the car out of action in the meantime. If the your existing engine is decent and the bottom end is a known quantity, then stick with that. Otherwise, spend becomes exponential as you end up buying and rebuilding a complete engine.