Volt Meter or Amp meter

Healey 12

Club Member
Hi
I am after a good Voltmeter for a 280z or a good Amp meter for a 240Z . My electrician is saying I need either of these for my 240Z , Hope I have the right terminology .
Thanks for any info or help

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi, do you mean a meter for testing circuits in your vehicle?

Or do you mean a dash-mount meter / replacement meter?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
240 and early 260 have ammeters, later cars have voltmeters. the two types have different wiring, so not plug and play swappable, but IMO voltmeters are more useful.
why do you need one?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are you leaving the engine/dash looms basically standard?

If so then you would be better sticking to an ammeter. Don't you have one?

I fitted a voltmeter in my 240Z but I made major changes to the loom. The Ammeter carries the charging current so it has heavy duty wiring to it, if you fit a voltmeter you will have to 'join' these and also provide a charging-lamp feed from the alternator.

The two Datsun gauges are different - they have bezels to fit the different dashboards (but you can swop them with a little adapting).

Also the writing (fonts) are different but that didn't concern me.

Healey 12

Club Member
yeah mine ammeter is broken and my electrician is recommending altering the wiring to fit the Voltmeter . I don't mind either way depends what I can get and when .
240 and early 260 have ammeters, later cars have voltmeters. the two types have different wiring, so not plug and play swappable, but IMO voltmeters are more useful.
why do you need one?
mine ammeter is broken and electrician is saying voltmeter is better do you have one?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
yeah mine ammeter is broken and my electrician is recommending altering the wiring to fit the Voltmeter . I don't mind either way depends what I can get and when .

mine ammeter is broken and electrician is saying voltmeter is better do you have one?
I might, I'll have a look in the loft.

TimFZ

Club Member
The Ammeter does not have to carry all the current. You use a "shunt" so it reads correctly but carries only a fraction of the amps. This is why the wiring does not look like starter cables....

Adding a volt meter is easy. One positive and one ground very low current needed, close to the battery. Easy alternative wiring if you preferred one to an ammeter but make the existing ammeter wires safe so they don't short. They can be left open circuit.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The Ammeter does not have to carry all the current. You use a "shunt" so it reads correctly but carries only a fraction of the amps. This is why the wiring does not look like starter cables....

Adding a volt meter is easy. One positive and one ground very low current needed, close to the battery. Easy alternative wiring if you preferred one to an ammeter but make the existing ammeter wires safe so they don't short. They can be left open circuit.
Tim no shunts on a 240Z. Of course the ammeter doesn't carry starter current.

Ammeter wires can't be left open circuit they carry current from the alternator to the battery.

Last edited:

TimFZ

Club Member
Tim no shunts on a 240Z. Of course the ammeter doesn't carry starter current.

Ammeter wires can't be left open circuit they carry current from the alternator to the battery.

Of course, if its the main feed then not open circuit. Sorry talking in general not from experience. I stand corrected!

johnymd

Club Member
I would always use a voltmeter. virtually plug and play in a 240z. Just bolt the 2 large ammeter wires together and pickup a live and earth for the voltmeter wires.