Viscous damper

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
THE damper for anyone who is serious about their z engine !

The problem with the 6 cylinder crankshaft in any form is that it suffers with harmonic vibration problems and over the last 20 years we have experienced broken cranks (see photo) and dampers welding themselves to the nose of the crank !
We have used various rubber type dampers over the years but the problem is one can never be sure if the frequency of the damper is in tune with the harmonics of the crank so it may work or it may not......

We have known for some time that the answer is the viscous damper as it is self-tuning to the frequency of the harmonic vibrations.

Until now, as far as we know, there has not been anything suitable available, but as motor manufactures are now using them on their diesel engines to solve the same problems, the technology has come to us ; we now have this new damper that will solve all the problems experienced in the past and yours in the future.

The unit comes in 2 parts - a hub to bolt to the crank that has the built-in v belt pulley and the damper ring itself that bolts to the hub with 9x 8mm cap screws supplied.
There are a further 3 holes on the front of the Damper for a trigger wheel if required.

This damper may be removed and fitted to another engine or the same but upgraded.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE DAMPER RING AS THIS COULD MAKE THE UNIT FAULTY and therefore ineffective.

VISCOUSE CRANK DAMPER www.djs30.com - Z Club Classifieds

SEE www.djs30.com

Attachments

• DSCF5224bis.jpg
    DSCF5224bis.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF5225bis.jpg
    DSCF5225bis.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF5227bis.jpg
    DSCF5227bis.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1431bis.jpg
    DSCF1431bis.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 60

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds great Sean,,let me know if the unit is at all adaptable to fit vg30 n/a as I'm gonna be needing one come the spring . Cheers ! ( and happy new year to you and yours ) :driving:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds great Sean,,let me know if the unit is at all adaptable to fit vg30 n/a as I'm gonna be needing one come the spring . Cheers ! ( and happy new year to you and yours ) :driving:

Happy New Year to you all too !

Without seeing and examaning a VG30 crankshaft, I couldn't confirm it. At the minimum take several detailed photos at the damper end and email 'em to me please :

sales@djs30.com

johnymd

Club Member
Just realised this is a really old thread. Haven't aftermarket Z dampers been available for years? Who makes yours and who did the R&D? Is it competitively priced compared to all the others?

I'm interested as I'll be looking at something for my L-series.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Haven't aftermarket Z dampers been available for years? Who makes yours and who did the R&D? Is it competitively priced compared to all the others?

I'm interested as I'll be looking at something for my L-series.

Answers :

1) Yes and still are, Ati and others...but fluid dampers ? I only know 'mine'.

2) I'm not telling who originally supplies them (you're joking right :thumbs:) but Dave Jarman did the R and D and it's he who adapts these for the L-series engines.

3) Nope, they're more expensive:D but a fraction of the cost of en engine rebuild but less expensive than this :

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic12d02c/10-2137

Anyone comparing these to basic Zcarparts :

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic12d02c/10-2139

Should simply buy the cheapest and consider the savings made.:cool:

johnymd

Club Member
ATI is the main one I know of and they have a very good reputation. They also have the funds to spend a lot of money on R&D which is how you achieve a product suitable for its purpose. I asked the questions to try and get a feel as to whether I can trust the product to do what its supposed to do as I have no way of testing it. The reason I asked who makes it was to get a feel as to whether they know what they are doing as I assumed it was a bought in part that's been reengineered to go on an L-series.

I'm not doughting this product , I just need to be confident in it. Without knowing the person behind it or the technical data that's difficult. Would you buy a car from a manufacturer you had never heard of because the saleman says its better than all the rest without asking a few questions?

As I say, I'm interested in this product as I'm in the market for one.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No problems John - I think you'll find Skiddell is well clued up on this subject too so don't hesitate to invite him on here to discuss.

I won't sell anything to anyone to earn 'the last buck' - I don't put bread on my familys' table with Z parts so I don't need to hard sell to live. The best deal is when both sides walk away with a smaile on their faces AND that smile stays.

These are not 'off-the-shelf' mass-produced parts and I don't know why the bigger manufacturers haven't developped something similar - perhaps the small numbers don't warrant their attention ?

3x are being made up specially for me, one is pre-sold into Norway, another has an option on it from Holland.....and I was going to have the third for one of my engines.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would be interested to know how many broken cranks people in the Datsun France Club or this Club have experienced.

I know of one Grolls atm. Does it affect all engines e.g. standard too?

I have a damper on my Blue (DJ 2.8 engine) but don't know what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
I would be interested to know how many broken cranks people in the Datsun France Club or this Club have experienced.

Geoff Gale broke one. At Castle Combe I think, in his track-day 240Z he sold after he retired. I know because I have that particular L28 engine block now, sans knackered crank, sitting in my garage...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
There seem to be RB viscous dampers out there. How different are RB cranks from L cranks?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The part originates here : http://www.fluidampr.com/

Most people won't need one or at least as efficient as this because despite their best wishes, their engine will never perform over and above 'normal' tolerances and for prolonged periods.

But if you want to be really safe and especially on an iron crank of +40 years.....you pays yer money and takes yer choice.:eek:

Around about £400 I think but won't know for sure until they're finished.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Do me a better photo (s) please.

Datsun-France = 1x

For your other question - consult my answer above - std engines (but also depending upon their use OR abuse) shouldn't be affected.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Geoff Gale broke one. At Castle Combe I think, in his track-day 240Z he sold after he retired. I know because I have that particular L28 engine block now, sans knackered crank, sitting in my garage...

Funnily enough, Geoffs' old red Aussie Z (with 1x bonnet 'grill') has turned up in Madrid.....and now has a fine DJS30 manifold and system.:cool:

The engine inside that was 'tired' too - good old' Geoff.....:(

richiep

Club Member
That's the car. Thankfully the block I have survived the crank failure without a scratch. It's in the parts stash for "future development".