VG33/VH45 swap...

Bonez

New Forum User
Hello all, newbie here! I can be found usually browsing www.nissanoffroad.net but I came here in search of more info on the VH45 swap. I have a 99 frontier with the VG33E. Pics can be seen here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ben_the_10/album?.dir=14bd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

While looking for more power with my 3.3 I came to one conclusion. This engine is EXPENSIVE TO BUILD!!! Headers=550 Cams=450 ECU upgrade=450 etc. So for about 2k I can build it to what? Maybe 225hp? Screw that, give me the V8! lol To my knowledge, nobody has ever put one in a 4x4 nissan so I guess I'm the guinea pig. That's cool though, I can dig it! This is not my daily driver so no problems with it being down for a few months.

I have the tooling and knowledge and you won't hear any dumb questions on simple things like how to change the alternator fluid or fit motor mounts and what to do with the radiator and stuff. I know no matter what I'm told, I just have to figure it out on my own so I only have tech questions that I'm sure I can find answers here on.

So, if you looked at my pics you have seen the transformation so far. I think the pics show that I'm not going to waste your time on this. I AM SWAPPING IN A VH45!

I can buy a whole Q45 for the price of headers for the 3.3 so I plan on gutting everything. ECU, harness, engine, trans, exhaust, accessories, etc etc and also keeping the car until I know I won't need any other parts off of it.

I have a 5 speed trans and 4 wheel drive. I'm not sure of the trans model however I know that the VG30 and VG33 have the same block so for arguments sake lets say they are the same. However I did notice that in some pics of completed swaps that Z32 5 speed transmissions have the starter come in from the rear. I know that my starter comes in from the front on my current trans. I also see on the VH45 that there seems to be a hole for the starter to come in from the front on the engine as well. Does anyone have any info on what problems I will run into with this?

I know that my flywheel will bolt up to the 4.5 just like the Z's will. I have also read that I can use the Q slushbox and use my tailpiece from my trans to mate it up to my transfer case. I want to keep it 5 speed but if I have to use the auto I will. I just like shifting and the way it sounds chirping 2nd and 3rd. I'm actually amazed that this V6 can burn through 1st and chirp 2nd with the 35's. With 33's I could chirp 3rd. Good engine but....daddy wants more!!!

I'm gonna stick with the 90-93 Q's and the stock ecu for now. I'll be happy just to get it in and worry about performance later. The only upgrades will be adapting my K&N FIPK to the 4.5 and also a dual exhaust. If I run true duals would I have to use a crossover pipe? What's the purpose of that? I know it's to equalize pressure but what happens if I don't? Is it better to have a 2-1-2 exhaust or dual with a crossover? Also, what size piping would do for a mildly upgraded 4.5...say with cams, ported and polished, intake and maybe ecu upgrade?

I read on the cam chain tensioner and oil pump issues. I'll put in the metal tensioner and keep the oil pump stock with the rest of the engine for now.

I guess that's all for now.

Any info is greatly appreciated!:)

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
I can make you an adaptor plate to fit the Z32 5 speed if you want to go that route. You're right, the starter on the Z32 box is from the gearbox side. The kit includes a flywheel spacer to space the flywheel from the crank so that the clutch and starter engage properly.

Bonez

New Forum User
Yeah I wish it were that simple. It's cool though, I like doing things like this. At least I can say that I did it all.

I just picked up a Q today for 450. Bad engine but I don't know how "bad" it is. I'll find out the hard way. If anything at least I have everything to get started with. I'm going to keep it stock for the most part unless I get some extra cash while the swap is going.

What is a good setup for NA without getting crazy? I think nitrous is as crazy as I wanna get with it. What are some must do's for performance and longevity and also what are the best bang for the buck mods that I should do while the engine is out and apart? Anything to avoid? Links?

Thanks again!

bluntbrother

Forum User
i want a vh45 . mate of mine just put one of these in his cefiro and turbo'd it and is pusing out about 600bhp ... mean as hell engines when tuned

i need one

friday

Well-Known Forum User
bluntbrother said:
i want a vh45 . mate of mine just put one of these in his cefiro and turbo'd it and is pusing out about 600bhp ... mean as hell engines when tuned

i need one
Lol! Well if you decide to buy, I can import good ones from Saitama (brought over one already and in the process of bringing over a third) ;)

Leigh

bluntbrother

Forum User
friday said:
Lol! Well if you decide to buy, I can import good ones from Saitama (brought over one already and in the process of bringing over a third) ;)

Leigh

im very interested in a price range pls mate ... what other engines can u get ? PM pls :bow: