Vertical C of G on a 240z for a Rotisserie

Rushingphil

Club Member
Had a search, read lots of posts and seen plenty of pics but can't find the above.

Clearly having the pivot point as close as possible to the vertical C of G will make it easier to rotate and put less strain on the pin.

I've read that Ben240z has his pivot point 960mm above ground level.

I'm guessing close to the middle of the transmission tunnel? Any ideas please Gents?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Trial and error as it depends where your rear centre point is aswell. I would start at about the middle of the radiator panel.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
As Moggy240 says it trial and error but its only at 960mm I would guess so it lets u spin the car without hitting anything. If ur frame permits it mount it to the car whilst the car is at a normal level and then just keep raising the car it until it’s easy to turn. Pic attached, mine was on a massive centre screw so I could just spin the thread with a air wrench to lift the car.

Attachments

• 4DD6EB83-B03A-4D25-8AEB-E3BBA8241A23.jpeg
    4DD6EB83-B03A-4D25-8AEB-E3BBA8241A23.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 10728144-87AA-4A68-A498-7DA5F16FCCF6.jpeg
    10728144-87AA-4A68-A498-7DA5F16FCCF6.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 26

ben240z

Club Member
Mine is set at 960mm as that was the height it worked out was easy for me to work at. Also I have the weight of the rollcage in the shell.

At 960mm I cant roll the shell upside down as it hits the strainer bar or the rotisserie. But I dont want it upside down. I think it would need to go to 1000mm high to let the sills past the strainer bar

I think the main thing is to get it at the stage where the shell is easy to rotate without it running away from you as you roll it over or it is too heavy to pull back up to level again.

Pick up points I used were the rear bumper mounts and front chassis rails ( front bumper mounts if i had them)

Rushingphil

Club Member
Thanks for the input gents. I can now see that this isn't an exact science with a defined mathematical answer! The length of the support arms on the jig / connection point on the body, will have a large variable pendulum effect to the pivot point - trial and error it is then!

uk66fastback

Club Member
NXcU4Qzy.jpg

I think from memory (this is 10 years ago) my fastback was able to be raised and lowered once mounted due to the design of the rotisserie ... but I can't think I did that more than once. Once it was on, it was on. This bodyshell was still pretty heavy even bare ... it spun very easily though.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
NXcU4Qzy.jpg

I think from memory (this is 10 years ago) my fastback was able to be raised and lowered once mounted due to the design of the rotisserie ... but I can't think I did that more than once. Once it was on, it was on. This bodyshell was still pretty heavy even bare ... it spun very easily though.

First time I've seen that design of rotisserie