US to UK import article

uk66fastback

Club Member
Good introductory guide that, Mike

My imported cars from the US have always been RORO ones. Slightly less secure obviously and things ‘have been known to disappear’ ... it’s a lot cheaper though. I’ve heard of bodywork damage occurring often though as these gorillas don’t seem to be too careful how they are parked (ie VERY close) ...

Did they look at a UK map when they were compiling the list of UK ports?! That well- known coastal port of Sheffield! Lol

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
RORO only really suitable for modern cars.

If you buy something old and don't view it before hand you're at the hands of idiots trying to start things up and move it any way possible. If it wont start after its been dropped at the port it'll stay there and you will get charged storage...

RORO usually from 1200-1400quid.

Dan

johnymd

Club Member
That sound a lot more money than container shipping. I was paying around £700 from LA and £580 from the east coast.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Plus VAT Johny? If not that's extraordinarily cheap.

I think container always works out better if you're able to pack yourself or have a friend the 'other side' pack it for you. Safer for one...and you can fit lots more in.

Dan

uk66fastback

Club Member
You were sharing a container though at that price ...

Nothing wrong with Roro for classics in my experience - just more of a risk, although at the container price above that is a decent price.

Some of these containers you can get four cars in ...

johnymd

Club Member
No VAT but 5% duty was charged at this end. This was not especially cheap and appears to be the going rate> I shipped a total of 9 cars at these rates over the past 2 years.

Yes it was in a shared container with another 2 or 3 cars that were not mine.

johnymd

Club Member
The rates now are not quite as good as they were a year or so ago but even at todays exchange rate its only £755 from LA. Works out cheaper if you fill the container with your cars.

johnymd

Club Member
There are other costs involved like getting it to the port of LA and some UK port fees but you will probably have to pay these with a RORO too.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
As a bit of a sidetrack here - I’ve got a pair of doors with my name on them in northern California, so if anyones shipping a car from there and they’ve got room, give me a shout and I can help with the costs.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Jon, I have a 73 240Z shell coming to me in the next few weeks. It has a partial cage welded into it and cut rear quarters for race flairs. It should probably be used as a race car in the future but it is just a shell. I plan to put your doors on the car and add other sheet metal and suspension to make it a roller. Will offer it up to chaps on the forum with the understanding that the price reflects the doors coming across to you.

We will see how it all goes but hope this will work out.

Mike