US Steering Rack Swap

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Probably an obvious question but was wondering if it's possible to fit the tighter UK/Euro steering rack onto a US car - any ideas? Would the steering column need to be swapped too?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ah of course I forgot the linkage would be on the wrong side for the UK version but would a euro one still work?

johnymd

Club Member
A friend of mine has rebuilt his rack and he said it was easy. Not tried one myself but probably will in the near future.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looking online, I can only find the ratio listed as 17.8:1 (2.7 turns lock to lock) - anybody know if that's the US ratio or the one everyone else got?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Looking online, I can only find the ratio listed as 17.8:1 (2.7 turns lock to lock) - anybody know if that's the US ratio or the one everyone else got?

17.8:1 was North American market ratio.

All other markets got (faster) 16.4:1 initially, but it changed in later production.

You have the (factory) option of fitting shorter steering knuckles if you want to improve the ratio.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
You're welcome.

I'd go for the shorter knuckles if I were you. You never really know what you're getting with a used steering rack and - as I mentioned - they changed the ratio in later production.

Knuckle change is nice and easy.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Good information as usual!

Is there a UK supplier for the knuckles? So far cheapest I have seen them is the Zstore store at $300...not cheap for some cast knuckles!

Dan

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No i haven't - I'd seen the topic crop up a couple of times in reference to the 'dumbed down' US models so I thought I'd switch it if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I have driven LHD American and European, RHD British, Japanese, Australian and South African S30s. Some on skinny factory spec. tyres but most on wider after market alloys and never noticed a difference in driving.

If you were using the car as a daily and commuting to work on the Stelvio Pass you possibly may notice a difference but not in normal road use.

Embrace the car for what it is, a US spec. car.

The more important changes to make are to upgrade the diff and box but wouldn't get bothered about modifying the rack personally.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Embrace the car for what it is, a US spec. car.

The more important changes to make are to upgrade the diff and box
but wouldn't get bothered about modifying the rack personally.

So, the message is: embrace it for what it is, but don't embrace it for what it is... ;)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Is there a UK supplier for the knuckles? So far cheapest I have seen them is the Zstore store at $300...not cheap for some cast knuckles!

The proper factory ones are forged, not cast.

Somehow I can't help thinking that the price quoted in the USA is very reasonable, all things considered. Proper Japanese-made factory parts after all.

A 'worth-it bargain', I reckon...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
:D Fair enough!

Box is already swapped so just need a 3.9 R180 I guess!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have driven LHD American and European, RHD British, Japanese, Australian and South African S30s. Some on skinny factory spec. tyres but most on wider after market alloys and never noticed a difference in driving................

Well I certainly have, do you 'work-out' ? :bow:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
So, the message is: embrace it for what it is, but don't embrace it for what it is... ;)

Yes :D

Embrace the slower ratio rack and the other minor differences that are not noticeable.

By all means if you want to change the diff. and box and swap out the softer factory suspension fine, but then draw the line...... and it isn't even a necessity to do that to enjoy the cars anyway, a nicely set up factory standard US car is still a great drive.

Most of us only drive the cars for leisure, a few hundred miles a year, maybe a few thousand for the lucky ones and almost all will have been modified from standard whichever country they originated from ( no-one say Japan ;) :smash:)

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Well I certainly have, do you 'work-out' ? :bow:

Huge difference in feel and effort required between wheel/tyre sizes but that is a different conversation.

I am talking like for like US car on skinnies v ROW car on skinnies or
US car on wides v ROW car on wides ;)