Uprated arms - necessary when lowered?

Larby

Club Member
Morning all,

I’ve tried to search for this, but can’t seem to find an answer.
I’m hoping the collective minds and experience of the group can help.

I’m lowering my 280Z on BC coilovers and currently going through the rest of the control arms etc.

On a (very) lowered car, how necessary will adjustable control arms be?

I’m aware of all the usual options, but will not fit anything with rose joints to my road car.
As such, if the adjustment is needed, I’ll design and build my own which incorporate proper road spec joints.

If the adjustment really isn’t required on what’s essentially a road car with a mild tune L28, then I’ll just restore my stock arms.

If keeping stock arms, does anyone make proper bushings for them any more, or is poly my only option?
I’ve fitted enough of them to not want the squeaking and re-greasing required!!

Cheers, James

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
mine's pretty low and doesn't have too much camber with standard arms.
I think standard bushes are available, but poly are better I think.

ALN

Club Member
Same here mine's quite low on BC Racing Coilovers
I would suggest investing in Bump-Steer Spacers if they will fit - you would need larger than 15" wheels though...
Go poly bushes if are changing bushes, just remember to grease them!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes, spacers at the bottom of the struts to align the arms better with the track rods to avoid bump-steer.

Larby

Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Sorry it took me a while to reply - I didn’t get a notification that anyone had replied!

So it sounds like the stock arms are just fine realistically then.
I might take jigs from mine while I’ve got them off, but will probably just powdercoat and refit them with polybushes for now. I stand a chance of driving it this season that way!

I’d never heard of the bump spacers, thanks for the tip on those!
I’m on 15” wheels, so restricted by that, but I’m also RHD converting and likely using a Subaru rack.
Maybe I’ll plot out the suspension and see what I can do to improve the situation within my setup.

Thanks again!

Larby

Club Member
I’d go stock bushings on the arms. Just to confuse
Lol, well so would I, given the choice.
Trouble is, I can’t seem to find them all any more.

Ideally, I’d love proper uprated stock type bushes - not polybush type.
Tighter suspension, but with a proper bushing design, rather like Hardrace make for Hondas etc.

Got any good suggestions of where to get anything?

Robotsan

Club Member
Compliance, the way the suspension is setup in theory they allow a more gradual load transfer.

Just to confirm, is that 4 stock bushings in total for the whole car? 2 at the front and 2 at the rear of the control arms/transverse links? You wouldn't recommend stock bushings at the front of the car at all?

5htmvquw.png
isoo3bml.png

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Just to confirm, is that 4 stock bushings in total for the whole car? 2 at the front and 2 at the rear of the control arms/transverse links? You wouldn't recommend stock bushings at the front of the car at all?

View attachment 55649
View attachment 55650
That's 4x inner control arm bushings, they're different sizes in length front to back.

I mean you're opening a debate between rubber Vs polyurethane?

I think rubber would be correct for normal operation of the car and poly is towards harder use.

Poly would last longer than the rubber over time, but poly has a drawback like in the radius rods, they're so stiff it has been reported to end up braking a linked part - can't remember the story word for word.

So on mine I mixed poly and rubber on the rods to allow some flexibility.

Are you redoing the whole lot of the bushings while the suspension is out?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Poly are also easier to fit. They can be fitted with the suspension in any position. The compression rod I think is the only place where poly is a bad idea. Everywhwere else is just a question of preference re compliance.

Robotsan

Club Member
That's 4x inner control arm bushings, they're different sizes in length front to back.

I mean you're opening a debate between rubber Vs polyurethane?

I think rubber would be correct for normal operation of the car and poly is towards harder use.

Poly would last longer than the rubber over time, but poly has a drawback like in the radius rods, they're so stiff it has been reported to end up braking a linked part - can't remember the story word for word.

So on mine I mixed poly and rubber on the rods to allow some flexibility.

Are you redoing the whole lot of the bushings while the suspension is out?

Thanks, so 4 in total then.

Ha, I'm not opening that debate - I'm just following @Alphabettispaghetti 's advice above to go poly everywhere but stock on the control arms.

I have a full poly bush kit, but not 100% sure how many bushes we'll be able to change in my garage. @richiep has advised we won't be able to get the control arms off without dropping the diff, and that's a bit much to be doing in that little garage with no lift.

So whatever bushes we can change will be what we change.

Robotsan

Club Member
Poly are also easier to fit. They can be fitted with the suspension in any position. The compression rod I think is the only place where poly is a bad idea. Everywhwere else is just a question of preference re compliance.

Ah ok, is that another stock bush I should be ordering then?

I prefer compliance to razor sharp handling if I'm honest. Been there, done that, fed up of bone jarring rides.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Thanks, so 4 in total then.

Ha, I'm not opening that debate - I'm just following @Alphabettispaghetti 's advice above to go poly everywhere but stock on the control arms.

I have a full poly bush kit, but not 100% sure how many bushes we'll be able to change in my garage. @richiep has advised we won't be able to get the control arms off without dropping the diff, and that's a bit much to be doing in that little garage with no lift.

So whatever bushes we can change will be what we change.
Yeah, the fsm says to drop the diff / rear suspension all in one. Probably for the best, those pinions are murder. Shudder. 😨

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ah ok, is that another stock bush I should be ordering then?

I prefer compliance to razor sharp handling if I'm honest. Been there, done that, fed up of bone jarring rides.
yes, or get the ball joint fitting that MSA sell. or something expensive from T3 😀

Robotsan

Club Member