Unsticky: solvent to remove d/s sticky without melting the rubber?

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Well, someone's got to be first. I've acquired a set of JDM mudflaps for my 300ZX but they've still got a load of double-sided sticky stuff on them which I want to remove before sticking them (somehow) on my Zed. I tried elbow-grease and a scalpel and lighter-fluid but with limited results which took an age:
attachment.php

Can any of you bodywork gurus suggest a (legal) solvent which might get the crud off without melting the rubber? I thought of nitromors and a blowtorch but then ....

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WP_000804.jpg
    WP_000804.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 57

AndyMinto

Inactive
Or try Acetone (nail varnish remover) but test a small piece first as it can melt some rubbers and plastics.

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks guys. Let's hope for a sunny weekend as I'm not using petrol, white spirit and acetone indoors! Think we've got some white spirit under the junk in the garage and the better 0.5's got some nail varnish remover somewhere.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
you need to soak the mudflaps to really get the glue off ,the best way is to submerge the mudflaps and leave overnight,if the white spirits does not work try some panel wipe from a car paint suppliers.