Unleaded Fuel

Carl300ZX

Forum User
Hi

I am running an 87 Z31 turbo.:Z31: Does anyone know if you can put normal unleaded in it instead of the high octane stuff? Also, what is the capacity of the fuel tank?? My gauge is probably wrong as when it is begging for a drink it only takes about 40 litres and i had heard a rumour that the tank holds 70 litres.

Please help if you can.

Cheers

Carl

Mr.F

Inactive
Use Super Unleaded or Optimax if you can - standard unleaded OK in small doses, but don't thrash into full boost if you do. Certainly to be avoided if you have any sort of boost enhancement.
Fuel sender units are notoriously unreliable...

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Carl...
I used to use Optimax or Tesco/Sainsbury's super unleaded in my Z31 Turbo.
You can use normal unleaded if there's no super available, but best to stick to the higher octane stuff really.

Mr.F

Inactive
To covert US gallons to Imperial gallons multiply by 0.833.
Other way round multiply by 1.201.

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
Works out to be 86L approx, I have noticed this before on my Zed. It seems to be a common thing for the fuel guage to ignore the bottom half of the tank.

racer

Club Member
Hi Carl
Really not! a good idea to use normal unleaded in your Z31T. You need the higher octane fuel to reduce the chances of detonation. The higher octane number ie 98.6(Optimax) means the fuel will burn in controled manor at a higher temperature before detonation and engine damage! will occour. Sure you could drive the car around off boost if you want to and it will be fine, but whats the point in owning a 3litre turbo sports car? Yes I know Su is more exspensive, but so is all petrol generally. Thats tony Blairs fault. The few extra pence could save you more money in the long run, and your car will performe better as well, especially if it's modified. To save money try to find a Tesco's that sells 99 octane ul. It's much cheaper than BP's (ripoff) SL, but Shell optimax is still the best quality.
I've had a couple of Z31turbo's and the fuel gage sender unit's in the tank often play up. Try Ken a Zxs for a good second hand one(07751 149211)
good luck...